Can lifting my arms up to get things off a shelf three days after breast reduction ruin the result?

I have been lifting my arms to get lightweight things off of tall shelves. It did not really hurt. Felt kind of good. I am three days out from breast reduction surgery and I have an anchor lollipop incision. Went from a small D to a large A small B. I sure hope I didn't mess with my results, but I just didn't feel like it was a bad thing at the time.

Lifting arms three days after breast reduction surgery

Thank you for your question and I am glad to hear you are happy with your decision to have this surgery since it is such a life changing procedure.  Lifting you arms usually is not a problem but straining or lifting anything heavier than a half gallon of milk is not recommended for the first two weeks.  I would discuss with your surgeon what you can and can't do for the first two weeks.  If you are too active, you can pull apart your incisions which may need repair or leave poor scars.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lifting after breast reduction

I usually have patients limit exertion with light aerobics to begin at 3-4 weeks.  I doubt that you caused a problem taking things off a shelf.

Restrictions after Breast Reduction

Dear kharma39,

Our restrictions after breast surgery typically include no reaching your arms over your head or lifting anything heavier than 7 lbs for about 6 weeks. That being said, you probably didn't undo anything from your surgery. I would try to avoid reaching up for the next few weeks. If you are concerned you could always have your surgeon take a look. Best of luck!

Breast Reduction Questions

Thank you so much for your question.  

I typically recommend any breast surgery patient to not lift their hands up over their head for a full 10 days post surgery to avoid any complications.  However, I would consult with your PS to ensure that everything is normal and you did not cause any harm to your surgery.

Lifting arms 3 days after breast reduction

If you did not feel any pulling, notice any bleeding or see excess swelling, you are ok. It is good to see that you feel so well after your surgery but you might want to be a little more cautious. It usually takes about two weeks for everything to be fairly resistant to the wear and tear of normal activity.

Karen Quigley, MD