Itchy forehead after Botox. Could that be to do with the injections?

I have a localised hitchy forhead the day after Botox injection, where the injections have been done and there s a little swelling and mild redness. Could that be to do with the injections?

Itching after Botox

Thank you for your question. Having itching after Botox treatment is unusual. The itching you are experiencing can be from the soap used, latex gloves or even the benzyl alcohol in the Botox. It is very rare to have an allergy to Botox. I recommend contacting your treating physician and having this evaluated. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox side effects

Swelling and redness is normal after botox injections, it can last up to 10 days . However do the itchiness, I would recommend to call your doctor and verify what are the recommendations.

Joseph Doumit, MD
Montreal Dermatologist

Itching after Botox

Good Morning, thank you for your question. You should know that itching it's not a common effect after botox injection. Some bruising and/or swelling on injection site can happen but is usually temporary. You should consider an allergic reaction to latex or other product if were used in your consult. 

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Itching after Botox

Thank you for your question cinzia. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. With any injection there is a risk for redness and swelling. Itching is less common but can be possible for those with a latex allergy if latex gloves were used during the treatment. I recommend to my patients who experience pruritus (itching) to use over-the-counter strength hydrocortisone twice daily for a few days. If it persists, other treatments are available. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Itching on forehead after Botox

Itching is not usual after Botox. If severe, see your doctor. If just mild, try topical steroids. It could be related to the soap used, latex gloves, or the benzyl alcohol in the Botox. There is a very rare allergy to albumin too. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Itchy forehead the day after Botox injections

Thank you for sharing your question. It would be extremely unusual to have this side effect following BOTOX. The itchiness is probably not related to the injections. Inform your doctor should the symptoms worsen. Good luck, 

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox side-effects

Thank you for asking about your Botox injection.

Slight swelling and redness are normal the day of a Botox injection. However if it was not swollen and red yesterday but is today and it is itching, an early mild infection is possible. Please contact the doctor who treated you to see if s/he wants to see you or prescribe something for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD