My left eye is getting smaller. Will Botox help this? What could be causing this? (photo)

I had upper and lower eyelid surgery in 2004 for fat bags under eyes and low lids. I don't want surgery again. The results aren't permanent anyway. I'm scheduled for Botox for crows feet and forehead next week. Will Botox help with the symmetry of my eyes? It gets worse when I'm tired. I do have facial assymetry and crooked jaw which might be contributing to this, I'm not sure.

My left eye is getting smaller. Will Botox help this? What could be causing this?

Hi there, you are very pretty and I agree that your eyes are slightly asymmetric like most people. your left eye is slightly smaller than your right. What I recommend is that you seek the help of a very experienced dermatologist. I have the same condition with my left eye as well and you can actually inject into the eyelid tissue in two spots on the top lid and one spot below. I would recommend Dr. Marguerite Germain at Germain Dermatology in Charleston. Good luck, Dr. Downie

Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Asymmetrical Solutions

A combination with Botox is the best approach. Botox can address the crow's feet and facial sculpting with fillers will improve symmetry.  I suggest a formal consultation with an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Asymmetric eyes

First, I don't think you need any surgery right now for the eyes. Actually, aside from the quite normal mild asymmetry, which everyone has to some degree, your eyes and brow position are pleasing. The Botox for your crow's feet will not have any significant effect on your eye size.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Left eye getting smaller

The first question to ask is, "Why is the left eye getting smaller?" Usually when the eye appears to be getting smaller, it is sinking back in the eye socket relative to the other eye. It's very possible that your right eye is becoming subtly more prominent. You should be evaluated by a doctor who specializes in diseases of the area around the eye and eye socket (orbit). These doctors are ophthalmologists with additional training in ophthalmic plastic surgery and are referred to by several names: Oculoplastic Surgeon, Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeon, Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sister faces

Everyone has some difference between the two sides of the face.  As we develop as an embryo, the two sides of the face grow up like sister, not twins.  In some people it is more pronounced.  Although it is a natural to have this, giving unequal amounts of Botox and filler to one side may soften the difference.  

In addition botox to the crows feet and glabella, you may want to ask about a small amount of botox to the lateral brow on the drooping side to help lift it laterally.  There is also the option of injecting a bit of filler right below the brow to lift it a bit. 

There are many non surgical options that will improve (but not totally correct) the asymmetry.

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox to correct eye asymmetry

Yes, Botox can improve the asymmetry in the left eye, and is the least invasive method of correcting the asymmetry.  The results can last 3-4 months.  In regards to your facial asymmetry and jaw, I would recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in person to determine what is the best for you.  Good luck!

Cindy Wu, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of face, eye smaller

All of us have a big and a little side. You have a little left side. Botox might open up that eye slightly but this is a skeletal issue that can't easily be fixed. Fillers placed asymmetrically will also help. Fat removal around the eyes is seldom done these days in young patients because it gives a hollowed look that requires fillers to repair.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Eyelid droopy

your left lid appears lower that is why your eye looks smaller. Botox can be used to raise the lid. This might help to minimize the asymmetry.