Facial fillers, Botox and lip injections. What type of Doctor is the best to go to for the these?

I am interested in getting my face injected with fillers to add a more youthful look. Botox to stop wrinkles. Lip injections to get a more sexy, pouty look. I would like to know which kind of doctor or doctors would be the choice for these procedures, A facial plastic surgeon, dermatological surgeon, dermatologist, etc....? Thanks!

Doctor Answers 17

Best doctor for facial fillers, Botox, and lip injections

There isn't a best doctor for facial fillers, Botox, and lip injections. Both board certified facial plastic surgeons and dermatologists can provide excellent results. Speak with a couple physicians to help determine who is the appropriate physician for you.


Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

Board certified and in the appropriate specialty

Scope of training varies from one specialty to the next. Training in the appropriate field where anatomy is learned and management of complications is understood yield the most approriate physician. Typically, dermatologists do more injections than surgeons (because surgeons do so much surgery!), but plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons and oculoplaastic surgeons,are also excellent choices for best results.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Choosing an injector

Great question!  I recommend seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist.  Many of these doctors also have nurses who work with them as well that are trained in injections.  Be sure to ask a lot of questions.  It is important to have a great understanding of the anatomy of the face and the mechanism of action of all the underlying muscles in order to give you the best treatment. Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Best Doctor

I am of course, biased towards facial plastic surgeons!

The truth is, there are lots of talented in injectors in all fields you named.  The important thing is to go to a doctor that you feel comfortable with, and who has pictures you can look at to see what to expect.

Best of Luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Botox and Fillers

I would recommend you seeing a cosmetic dermatologist who is an expert in facial injections. Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Go with the Best in Facial Fillers

I recommend seeing a cosmetic dermatologist who is an expert in facial fillers and facial contouring for best results. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Best choice for injector

The training of the physician is secondary to the experience and expertise of the physician injector. The key is the physician needs to understand the facial anatomy and have an artistic precision to provide the best results.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Aesthetic Injectors

Experience (7+ yrs), training, and an artful eye is probably the most important deciding factor. It can be challenging to find the right person for your treatments. Referrals from friends and looking at the provider's before and after pictures can help in the decision making process. Lastly, go to someone that you connect with, who you feel has integrity, and who you know will do their very best to give you the outcome you are looking for. Hope that helps!

Kim Thompson, DO
Salem Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

How to evaluate a potential injector

This is understandably difficult, because there is little "standardization" in Aesthetics, and because you are, in fact, selecting an 'artist' which is different from just selecting someone with "training x" or "board certification x". Excellent injectors come from all sorts of backgrounds. A few good questions to ask:

- How long has s/he been injecting? 

-How often does s/he inject? (You want to hear 'daily', 'many times a day' etc...Not 'twice a week at Serenity Spa' or "only on Tuesdays...")

-Does s/he use microcannulas? (it is a marker of advanced training techniques these days)

-Can I view before and after photos of the injector's work? (not just stock images provided by the companies that produce the products)

-Is s/he Board Certified in his/her specialty?

Often a provider who is devoting all or most of his/her practice time to aesthetics will have the most experience with filler injection. This is not a time to "follow the sale" or look on Groupon and similar sites. I can't tell you the number of panic emails I have gotten to see someone immediately to correct a mess, usually because the followed a bargain and went with an unknown and inexperienced injector. 


Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician
4.7 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Aesthetic physicians

Hello, and thanks for your question, which is a great one. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert dermatologist or plastic surgeon. These physicians are formally trained in aesthetics, but any physician (or in some state nurses) can take a weekend course and be "certified" to inject Botox and fillers. I have no doubt that some of these "non-core" providers are excellent and achieve desirable results safely, but it can just be more challenging to tell them apart from those who are not formally trained and only occasionally perform these procedures. In short, the most important things are reputation and experience, but it is probably a safer bet to go with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon (including oculoplastic and facial plastic surgery). Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.