How is a Soof Lift Different from a Midface Lift?

I am looking for a minimal invasive procedure to lift my fat pads back up over my cheekbones after some descent that has given me more prominent n/l folds and eye bags. Filler and fat are not an option for me due to inflammatory reaction to both in the past.

SOOF and Midface Lift

SOOF and Midface lift are similar.  This basically just comes down to what has descended on your face and needs to be suspended at a higher level.  These surgeries have their own list of complications.  You should find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who does facial surgery hundreds of times per year and can advise you appropriately based upon exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

The SOOF and a Mid-Face Lift

The term SOOF stands for Sub Orbicularis Oris Fat. This is some of the tissue that descends to give you hollow cheek bones and nasolabial folds. One has to deal with this tissue whenever a Mid-Face Lift is done. By releasing the arcus marginalis, the tissue separating the SOOF from the ocular fat, one can combine the two fatty areas and elevate the orbicularis muscle and other tissue to correct the deformity with a blepharoplasty or a full cheek lift. This is relatively invasive. One can, however, elevate just the SOOF and surrounding tissues with a less invasive procedure using sutures or an absorbable tine device from the temple. If you are looking for something minimally invasive, I would not, however, rule out either fat or synthetic filler.  When done properly, you should not have any significant inflammation.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Soof Lift & Facelift

Generally speaking, both procedures are actually fairly similar variations of same concept. A Soof lift is usually done through the lower eyelids while a midface lift is performed through the temple region and gums. It's best to schedule a consultation with an expert facial plastic surgeon to determine the best option for yourself.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Difference between SOOF lift and Midface Lift

SOOF lift describes a lower eyelid lift that usually involves freeing the attachment of the muscle to the bone under the eyelids, lifting the skin and muscle, and anchoring this thick flap of tissue to the bone on outside of the orbit. It is a good way to smoothen out redundant skin/muscle bulges of the lower eyelid. For many of us, it is a standard way of performing a lower eye lift (along with the transconjunctival or internal approach).

A midface lift performed through a lower eyelid incision is similar in approach but the dissection is usually wider as the surgeon attempts to lift the cheek pad along with the lower eyelid, and hopefully improve the smile lines.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Midface/soof lift

Soof lift and midface lift are essentially the same. However, you should not rule out fat or filler as they are usually non-inflammatory.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

How should I address my mid face?

There are a number of ways to rejuvenate the midface. Recently, volume restoration has been a very popular method to create a more natural, youthful look in the midface.

Surgically, there are a number of methods of lifting the midface. A trans-blepharoplasty approach allows exposure to the sagging fat and muslce which can be suspended in order to lift the midface. This would be one of the less invasive approaches.

An endoscopic approach is accomplished through an incision in the temple Dissection is then carried out under the muscle and fat in the mid face resulting in the ability to anchor the mobilized muscle and fat in a more lifted position by suturing it to the muscle tissue in the forehead. Some surgeons will combine this procedure with additional mobilization of the tissue through and incision underneath the upper lip which further mobilizes the muscle and fat in the cheek. This is a more invasive procedure which results in a significant amount of swelling. 

Another approach is using a deep plane facelift. This approach is carried out through a traditional preauricular facelift incision and the dissection is carried out under the SMAS layer out toward the nasolabial fold. This procedure results in a substantial amount of swelling with a slightly increased risk of damage to the facial nerve.

The mid-face is a complex region that can be difficult to lift and result in a natural, rejuvenated appearance. Make sure to visit with at least two qualified and experienced surgeons before making your decision.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Midface augmentation

Rather than trying to lift the mid face, it is better to augment the volume loss with a small Silastic cheek implant.   Placing a cheek implant over the maxilla gives very consistent results without bunching up mid-face tissues with a   SOOF or mid face lift

Midface lifts including SOOF lifts are not minimally invasive procedures.

A SOOF (suborbicularis oculi fat pad) has evloved to be a type of midface lift.  However, the concept is the result of an anatomic misunderstanding.  Surgeons thought that the fat present at the orbital rim was separate from the malar fat pad and named this fat the SOOF.  In fact the SOOF is actually the deep continuation of the malar fat pad.  A SOOF lift is just a type of a midface lift.  There are surgeons who still labor under the anatomic misunderstanding about the SOOF.  These surgeons do very little dissection of the SOOF fat.  Not surprisingly, their surgeries are not successful.  In order to perform successful midface surgery, the midface soft tissues must be adequately freed up.  Todays success to the midface lift is the vertical midface lift, typically performed over a hand carved ePFTE rim implant.

Midface lift?

Midface lifts work great for the right reason and in the right patient. There are many different ways to perform midface lifts. They are not all created equally. Unless they are performed well you will be disappointed. Make sure that you see many post op results before you sign up. 

Mid face lift or soof

Both procedure are quite similar in this regard. They are long on promise but short on delivery. If you need a facelift, you should have a facelift. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for an expensive dissappointment. If these procedures were worthwhile, all surgeons would be doing them. Sorry, but that is it in a nutshell.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD