Small Yellow Discharge from Incision Site After Breast Lift?

I had a breast lift one week ago. In the last couple of days however, I have noticed when I take off my bra that I usually have a tiny amount of yellow fluid on my bra at the bottom where the vertical incision meets the horizontal line. It is very small (little dots) I am wondering what it is? Thanks

Yellowish drainage after a breast lift

Some yellowish discharge from a breast lift incision is not unusual and this is just the plasma component of the blood.  With conservative management this will do fine. 

This is a common occurrence, at the "T" intersection. Often there is a suture at that spot that needs to be removed or to dissolve before this will heal. This almost never is a long term problem interfering with the ultimate result or requiring additional surgery.

All the best. 

Breast Lift drainage

Thank you for your question. The area you have described may be an early wound healing issue. Try to keep it clean and dry and follow-up with you plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Do not manipulate this area.

Drainage after Breast Lifting Surgery?

Generally speaking, the most problematic area when it comes to healing after breast lifting surgery, is the area that you describe between the vertical and horizontal incision lines. Sometimes, this may consist of a small amount of drainage;  sometimes there may be delayed healing/wounds that require dressing changes.

Given your concerns, best to follow up with your plastic surgeon for accurate assessment, advice, and/or reassurance. In the meantime, keep the area covered/clean with a nonstick sterile dressing.

Small amounts of drainage from the wound after mastopexy are common for several days.

It doesn't sound like there is anything particularly wrong. If however you have any concerns you certainly should bring this up to your plastic surgeon.

Drainage after Breast Lift

This can be a very common problem. The most difficult area to heal after a breast lift is in the inframammary fold where the vertical and the horizontal incisions meet. It is not uncommon for the body to make a yellowish discharge while it is healing. This can be very normal.  It's best to have your surgeon take a peak for reassurance. Be sure to take it easy and not overdo!

Jennifer Harrington MD