How long after my mommy makeover can I start working out?

I've always been sedentary, or I will tend to start a workout regimen and give up after a week or so. My procedure will include a full tummy tuck, liposuction to the hips and lower back, a full breast lift, and breast implants. How long until I can start a light cardio regimen? How long until I can start doing light lifting? And how long until I can start intensifying my workouts?

Mommy Makeover Workout....

It is good to get into an exercise routine on a long-term basis.  Fast starts and intense/grueling bursts frequently lead to burnout and failure.  If possible, it would be good for you to start an exercise program before your surgery.  Initiate good habits today and you will be more likely to resume them once you are healed! You may even tone up or loose weight to create a better result from your surgery!      After surgery, you will need to take at least the first week completely off.  Getting up and around the house will be plenty of stress on your body.  After the first week, gentle walking should be okay, but even then do not try to get your heart rate up or break a sweat.  Between 3-4 weeks you usually can start to engage in vigorous activity (like a slow treadmill or elliptical without using your arms).  By 4-5 week you may be able to step up the pace to jogging and aerobics.  Heavy lifting, kickboxing and core exercise have to wait until later depending on healing. My limit for lifting for patients is usually 5 lbs. for 3 weeks, advancing to 10-15 lbs. for another week or two progressing to unlimited lifting by 6-8 weeks (depending on healing).  Specifics of these timelines will vary depending on the exact surgery, your health, and your healing process. Be sure to follow your surgeon’s recommendations on these issues.

Exercise after a mommy makeover

Walking is good for the first week, gradually increasing to fast pace walking the 2nd or 3rd week, and finally vigorous exercise between 4-6 weeks.  Everyone recovers differently, so follow your surgeon's advice.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

In our practice we would wait at least 4 to 6 weeks before any kind of intense work outs. Also depends on the individual and what their situation is. But check with your surgeon first because every practice is different and will give you specific instructions.

Jaime Perez MD
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

When to work out after mommy makeover

In our practice we would say six weeks to eight weeks. Check with your surgeon and follow that advice since he/she will have your best interests in mind and they know the extent of what was done. Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  I advise my patients to wait for six weeks until resuming exercise.  Then, they can begin to build up the intensity of their workouts moving forward, being sure to listen carefully to their bodies.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Resuming activity after a mommy makeover.

A couple of things: specific instruction should come from your own surgeon, the convalescence will be dependent upon the operations chosen. Having said that in my practice you would be expected to be up and walking the next day. Aerobic activity can begin when the sutures are removed at about 10 days. The abdominal muscles cannot be targeted for six weeks and from then until three months activity is increased.

Dr Derby Sang

I would say light cardio or aerobics after 20 days , weightlifting after 2 months and specific professional training for a marathon or a match after 4 months.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Exercise after mommy makeover

Hi, Jane Dough.  Post-operative instruction/recommendation will vary among plastic surgeons.  I usually have my patients start light cardio work-out 4 weeks after mommy makeover and an intense work-out 6 weeks following the surgery.  This will vary among patients and their recovery process.  Please see your plastic surgeon prior to resuming your exercise and get the clearance from him/her.  Best wishes.

Mommy make over

Dear Jane, 
  You are asking about the post operative recovery, but after reading about the amount of surgery that you are contemplating, I would recommend to you to reconsider. I understand that you want to do it all at one time, but it is too risky. Patients over estimate their ability to recover from painful surgery. The combination of your surgery can be associated with severe complication like blood clots, dehydration , pneumonia etc. Cosmetic surgery is purely elective and as such, complications should be reduced to a minimum.  Also the length of time for the surgery will get your surgeon fatigued and the end results might be less than optimal. Based on my 28 years of plastic surgery, I would recommend to you to split the surgeries into , at least, two sessions. Your safety is more important than anything else.
         Stay safe,
                       Dr Widder

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with mommy makeover surgery.
Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to.

Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion. "Listen to your body" as you do so. Having said that, most patients are able to engage in lower body exercises two weeks after surgery, lift more than 10 pounds 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, and run 4 to 6 weeks after surgery as well.  Keep in mind, that many patients don't regain 100% strength until several months after the procedures are performed.

Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to relevant advice.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.