Can a liposuction be used at same time as an abdominal hernia repair?

I'm. 66 and have quite a bit of abdominal fat from having three children and gaining weight. My skin is in good shape. I've lost weight, but my stomach fat is persistent.

Liposuction/Hernia Repair/Same Time?--Ask Your Dr.--VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

We do this all the time in my practice, lipo can be done at the same time as the hernia, its best to do a VASER HI DEF contouring procedure so you can get more skin tightening and fat reduction.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction and abdominal hernia repair?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• It truly depends on the extent of your hernia and hernia repair.
  • If your hernia surgeon agrees to a second procedure at the same time, then you need to see a plastic surgeon about the liposuction.
  • Your plastic surgeon will examine you and let you know if liposuction is the right choice and if from her/his point of view as well, the two operations can be combined. .

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction and an abdominal hernia repair

Liposuction on any body part other than the abdomen in this case can certainly be done. However, liposuction of the abdomen would take some careful consideration and discussion with the general surgeon. In general, much will depend on the size of the hernia, the amount of dissection to be done, whether mesh will be required, your overall health, and the comfort level of your surgeon(s). Since liposuction is elective, it may be prudent to do this in separate stages.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

Liposuction could be used at the same time as a hernia repair, but it would not be covered by insurance.  Also, you don't want to do anything to infect the mesh used for your hernia repair.  Lastly, as we age, our skin loses its ability to recoil, and liposuction alone may leave loose extra skin.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon