How long after liposuction can I go back to zumba class?

Im 30, had liposuction of abdomen, sides and back done 3 weeks ago. Im still a little sore and I have hard spots on my sides, but I really miss zumba

Wait for the 4-Week Mark

Your eagerness to return to exercise is quite common among liposuction patients at my Las Vegas practice. Most liposuction patients are in good overall shape and want to tone and tighten trouble spots, so they can get a bit antsy during their recoveries. But it is important to not allow your body to heal before beginning strenuous activities, such as Zumba classes. I encourage my patients to be moderately active in the first few weeks after liposuction. That may include brisk walks or something similar. I do recommend postponing a return to vigorous exercise for at least 4 weeks, though. You're almost there! At that point, you should be recovered enough to participate in Zumba. 

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Liposuction - when to return to zumba

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and zumba.

• The best person to ask is your own surgeon who knows your health and recovery.
  • But generally, after liposuction it is reasonable to return to exercise 4 - 6 weeks afterwards.
  • Exercise may make you swell more - and may make you ache.
  • I recommend that my patients start slowly - if the class is an hour, I suggest they do ten minutes the first time.
  • Then double their exercise - eg 20 minutes the next class, 40 the third, the full hour the fourth.
  • if your zumba class is floor based - ie little or no jumping - you may find this works well.
  • Impact of any kind, like jumping or running - is too painful for 6 weeks after any body surgery.
  • Above all, listen to your body. If something hurts, it's best not to do it.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Returning to exercise

The key is to return to exercise gradually and listen to your body.  At around 4-6 weeks you can return to class, but try doing modified versions of the moves and work your way back up to full participation.  When resuming activities it is always best to check with your surgeon as he/she is most familiar with your surgery details and how your recovery is progressing.

Camille Cash, MD

Zumba after Liposuction

Thank you for your question. I usually advise my patients not to do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for 4 weeks following surgery. Light activities are aloud 1 - 2 weeks post surgery. (treadmill, stationary bike, walk, etc)

Listen to your body. If you are able to do a Zumba class, by all means do so and try it out.. but if you feel like you can't handle it, stop! (never push through pain after surgery)

Seek follow up instructions and advise from your surgeon.

Regards,

Exercise and liposuction

I usually allow patients to exercise within about a week or two.  Best to review with your surgeon....