Lip Fillers for a Small Mouth? (photo)

I have always wanted bigger fuller lips but Im worried that the size of my mouth is too small and it will make me look strange. Is it possible to some how make the mouth appear a little wider?

Lip augmentation to widen mouth

Dear poodle101,

1. You can place filler at the corners of the mouth to make them about 2-4mm wider on each side
  2. This may be enough to bring them into balance
  3. Visit an experienced lip injector to get the results that you are looking for, and use before and after pictures to get an idea of what you would like

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Lip Augmentation

There are a couple of options to achieve a natural appearing fuller lips and each has their own pros and cons.  One option is fillers, which are temporary and require repeated injections.  The other is to use a lip implant which is permanent but reversible.  The implants come in different sizes and are customized for your own lips.  Because they come in different sizes, they can sometimes also widen the lips depending on the size you select.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Lip Enhancement Should Harmonize Face

Your concerns are valid, as we have all seen terrible examples of overfilled lips on celebrities that are unflattering and look unreal. An expert lip enhancer will know just how much dermal filler is needed and where it should be placed. The mouth can be made to look a touch wider by injecting the corners with Juvederm or Restylane. Please consult with a board-certified dermatologist who specializes in lip augmentation to discuss your desires.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Lip augmentation to make it wider?

Certainly lips can be augmented with filler to give them a fuller look.  To make them wider is really only done for patients with severe microstomia because the scars can be significant.

Lip fillers for a small mouth

There are different sized syringes of filler that can be used. If you want to start with a very small amount, you could get a .5ml syringe of Restylane instead of a 1.0ml syringe. While I would say that most commonly 1-2 1.0ml syringes are used for the lips, you could start with a smaller sized syringe and add a second if it was needed a few weeks later. The important thing with lip fillers is to follow the natural shape and proportion of the lips (most people have 2/3 to 1/3, meaning the bottom lip is fuller than the top). When this proportion is changed is when lips look strange with a trout pout or ducklip. I wouldn't try to widen your lips, but just start with less filler, have your injector follow the shape and proportion of your lips, and all should work out. Go to an experienced, board-certified injector.