Am I healing okay or should I be concerned? (Photos)

I'm getting a little worried. I'm still bleeding a little bit. Not sure why because I have no pain. I'm keeping my legs spread while laying down mainly because I don't want it to rub. I've iced it almost all morning just got out of the shower now. I seem to have white discharge dripping occasionally. Doesn't itch at all though. Where it is bruised is getting a little bit hard as well.

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you require a secondary procedure in the future, I would recommend an experienced genital surgeon even if that requires traveling.   

Best of luck.      

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Am I Healing Okay?

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months.

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and the way in which your body heals.

Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

Without knowing how long it has been since your surgery I would have to say that the best advice would come from your plastic surgeon. Often white discharge can indicate an infection or other issue, and it would likely be good to have it examined by your surgeon to make sure that healing is progressing well.

Am I healing okay

Thank you for sharing.  Although, you are very swollen and I am sure this seems like it is taking forever.  I can reassure that the swelling will subside and you will feel much better. 

I would however recommend an immediate notification to your surgeon either via phone and pics or in person in regards to your healing process.

Keep following all post op instructions and best of luck.

Concerned about healing

Some patients will swell and bruise just like you, so everything will likely be ok, but you should contact your surgeon and ask to be seen. This will give both, you and your surgeon, piece of mind.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Swelling and bruising

I am sorry to hear of your concerns and anxiety but judging from he photos this is not all that unusual.  Sit back and continue to ice the area.  The bruising and hardness is not rare. Hang in there everything will usually turn out fine.

John R Miklos MD

PS If you continue to have problems contact your MD

Healing after labiaplasty

Hi... It is difficult to answer your question without knowing how long ago you had your procedure.  You look like someone who had surgery in the past few days.  If this is true, then everything looks normal for this stage.  However, even with photos, it is not possible to examine you fully or see what is going on with your labia.  You should continue to follow your surgeon's instructions carefully and speak with your surgeon so that he can examine you in person to make sure that you are doing well.  Good luck with your recovery.
Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Am I healing okay or should I be concerned?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your current results are causing you concern.  You do have a fair amount of swelling present to your tissues, and bruising that is developing to both labia minora and majora.  This will steadily improve with time and continue with your ice compresses and pelvic elevation.  Some small amount of spotting is also not uncommon at this stage of healing.  Otherwise I do not see any distinct areas of concern in your current healing but discussion with your surgeon after an in-person examination would offer you the best reassurance. Best wishes for a speedy recovery