Is there any way to make inner labia smaller without surgery? (photo)

The appearance of my vagina gets in the way of me having an enjoyable sex life. How much does labiaplasty cost on average? I'm disgusted with myself.

Minimzing your inner lips (labia)

can be achieved through non-invasive methods such as ThermiRF but this has to be repeated regularly to maintain the benefit and the amount of shrinkage is not huge.  Its best to have a formal labiaplasty with the technique dependent on your expectations and what risks you are willing to accept.  Often, a hood reduction can also be of benefit.  As for cost, they vary widely across the US and I know mine are near the lowest simply because I practice in a somewhat rural area with low overhead and I hope to allow as many women who want this done to get it done without emptying their accounts.  It takes an hour or more and is done in the office under local.  Women from around the US have traveled to take advantage of my pricing.  I'm experienced, board certified, and have a great revision policy too as I am more conservative in excisions rather than aggressive.  This can be done for less than $2000.

Labiaplasty Under Local Anaesthetic

Thank you for your question and picture.  Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve

The shape and colour of labia vary between individuals and it can grow and change after puberty, childbirth and with age. If the appearance of the labia concerns you and it affects your self-esteem and relationship then labiaplasty can reduce your labia to the desired size and shape to improve your self-confidence.

For some it’s a functional problem where the labia can get caught in clothing and makes it uncomfortable during cycling or horse riding. It can cause excess sweating, irritation and rash. Labiaplasty aims to improve the discomfort and hygiene and allow you to get on with your hobbies and activities.

Some can find intercourse and sexual relationship difficult due to the excessive size of the labia. This tends to not only lower their self-esteem and confidence but also cause intimacy issues due to the discomfort during sex, which can be overcome with a simple labiaplasty procedure.

Labiaplasty (Labia Reduction) is performed under local or general anaesthetic. Our cosmetic surgeons will listen to your concerns and needs and discuss the surgical options which best suit you.

During Labia reduction surgery, the excess tissue is removed to keep the size, shape and colour symmetrical and looking natural with scars hidden within the natural folds of skin, resulting in a defined and neatly shaped labia. For most patients, the surgery takes approximately 60 to 90 mins. The scars are virtually invisible and reduction in the size of the labia not only gives comfort in clothing and during sex but it can also improve the cosmetic appearance of the labia.

Labiaplasty surgery cost approximately £2500 under local anaesthetic however under general anaesthetic approximately £4250 

All The Best 

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with an enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks.  Your reason for wanting a labiaplasty is reasonable and a common reason among women.  There are several techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon.   In my practice, I discuss this with my patients in order to educate them on their cosmetic issue, the surgical options and possible outcomes so that they can make an educated decision. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.    Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Surgical labia reduction is the ONLY option

I'm sorry the size and appearance of your labia are negatively affecting you to this degree. Thank you for sharing your photo since it lets me tell you with confidence that your only option is surgery. Prices vary across the country, but also depending on the expertise and surgical demand of the expert surgeon you choose. Below is a link with advice in choosing the best surgeon for you and be sure to look at the thousands of before and after photos. This is not a procedure you price shop for.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Is there any way to make inner labia smaller without surgery?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your labial appearance has caused you such physical and emotional discomfort.  Unfortunately there is no reliable way of permanently reducing the size of a woman's labia minora outside of surgery.  Surgery costs will range based on the exact procedures performed but you can anticipate 2500-6000.  Hope this helps.

Enlarged labia minora

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are  enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labia minora reduction

Only way to permanently reduce your labia minora is through surgery.   I doubt you will respond to radio frequency or laser as your labia are moderately enlarged.  

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Only surgery can reduce the size of your labia minora effectively

Your labia are moderately enlarged. For very mild enlargement, lasers and radiofrequency (RF) are sometimes effective, but in your case it would be a total waste of your time and money. Anyone who tells you otherwise is being less than truthful or lacks real experience. Email me privately and I'll send you a quote.

Reduce size of labia

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Who should do my labiaplasty? What is average "out-the-door" cost?

Unfortunately, there is no way to diminish the size of the labia minora (inner lips) without surgery. There is a fantastically wide range of normal labial sizes. You are "normal," but obviously you dont like your "robust size."  YES- this can be reduced artistically by either a linear/trim or a Wedge procedure, depending on your specificic outcome desires and your anatomy.

The IMPORTANT thing is to choose your surgeon wisely. Who does "botches??" Surgeons who do not specialize, who cannot show you specifically and personally a MINIMUM of 25 "before & after" photos, your "general Ob/Gyn" (stay away!!), If your doc offers to "do it under insurance) stay away! (Only very inexperienced docs do this--they're "practicing" on their patients...!) You mat have to "travel," as there may not be the "perfect" surgeon in your area. But, it's a short plane ride down to Sacramento./Davis or the LA area or Denver where there are experts... Our (TOTAL out-the-door) cost for labiaplasty and hood reduction ranges between $5000-$6000, depending on complexity. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE "OUT-THE DOOR" COST! Call office for details; check weblink & look at the site for LOTS of info.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA