Can fat be restored to labia majora?

Due to something very strange I have noticed fat to be gone from my labia majora after smas facelift 4 monthd ago. I'm still quite young and had it fuller before the procedure. Now it is like flat rusin and I can feel my bone down there. Friend asked to check this after other strange things had occured... This whole experience is a disaster.

Fat transfer

You can certainly do liposuction in one area of your body, collect the fat, and then transfer it to your vulva.

Grapevine OB/GYN

Can fat be restored to labia majora? On the area that is circled with blue.

Yes, it certainly is possible to perform fat transfer to the area you are concerned about.

Fred Suess, MD

Fat grafting

or dermal filling can certainly be done to your majora and it will plump it up again.  Fat has the potential to be permanent so is preferred in my opinion.  Your facelift had nothing to do with the atrophy you are seeing down there.  Sometimes endocrine disorders can impact the fullness so consider asking your GYN about any advice.

Curtis Wong, MD

Can fat be restored to the labia majora?

The labia majora can use their fullness and tone with age, often at about the same time that patients notice loosening of their facial skin as well. It is more likely this connection rather than a cause and effect of surgery that correlates the loss of fat from the labia majora soon after you had a facelift.

It is possible to transfer fat to the labia and/or remove excess skin of the labia majora. Look for a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in liposuction, as this is how the fat is obtained, as well as female genital plastic surgery.

For more information, click on the link below.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections to labia majora can restore volume

Thank you for the question and diagram. Fat injections can restore volume to the labia majora. Fillers can also be used for smaller areas. 

I don't think there is a relationship between the facelift and the fat loss in your labia but please ask your plastic surgeon. 

Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Fat injections to the labia majora can restore volume

There is no connection between a facelift and fat loss at the labia majora. Something else has to be involved. Bloodwork testing for conditions which are known to produce fat loss are necessary, but it's unlikely that this is a sign of a medical condition. Sometimes fat loss occurs especially in lean women in their 30s and 40s due simply to aging. This is the most common group of women I see for these treatments. You should certainly consider this option.

Thank you for sharing your question and diagram and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues after a facelift.  Fat grafting to the labia majora can be performed in order to add fullness as well as improve upon some women's desired cosmetic appearance.  The procedure entails liposuction of a diet or exercise resistant area of the body, purification of the fat, and reinjection into the desired area.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon or labiaplasty surgeon for an in-person evaluation and discussion of your treatment options