Severe swelling after Volbella lip filler. Can I have some advice? (Photo)

Hi I've had fillers before and always experienced a small amount of swelling, but 5 hours after 1 vial of Volbella ( the first time I have had this filler) and my top lip feels like it's about to pop. The swelling is severe and very uncomfortable. If this continues I honestly think my lips will start to split. I've iced them and taken arnica (for the week leading up to the injections) but this swelling is really quite scary. I could use some advice on this please...

Swelling

Hi there, see your original provider and get a prescription for prednisone. Some swelling with lip fillers is possible, but your amount of swelling is not normal. Could be injection technique or an an allergy or a combination of both. Make sure you're seeing someone who has a lot of experience with fillers.

Swelling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Volbella and swelling

With all lip fillers, swelling is expected, but this degree of swelling is marked. I can't comment on the technique, Volbella should not cause this exaggerated response. This will settle, 2 days of prednisone 50 mg am will help settle the swelling, as will ice. Could be technique, could be your reaction to the filler, regardless, see a Board certified Specialist who has plenty of experience with this product, and you will be fine. All the best, Dr Davin Lim Laser and aesthetic dermatologist. 

Volbella and swelling

People can swell a lot after lip injection

The lip is a very very sensitive area. It can swell quite a bit after filler is placed. Always contact your doctor and let them know. You can apply ice and in some cases oral steroids are needed to control the swelling. I use a lot of volbella but I personally do not see this much swelling after lips are done. h

Sameer Bashey, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Sameer Bashey, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after Vobella

siany1974,

I am sorry your experienced such swelling with your Vobella injection.  Your reaction to Vobella is very unusual since the technology in the product is specifically designed to have less water absorption, and therefore less swelling than the other fillers on the market.  Your injecting physician should be notified immediately of your reaction, and if necessary start you on a course of oral steroids to decrease the swelling quickly.  Best of luck!

Dr. Edween

Julie Edween, DO

Swelling after Vobella

siany1974,

Dr. Edween

Julie Edween, DO

Swelling in the lips after fillers

Swelling in the lips is common after injections with fillers, however, the amount of swelling your photos show after 1 syringe of volbella seems to be disproportionate.  Please consult with your injector.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Swelling in the lips after fillers

Kimberly Lee, MD

Lip swelling from Volbella

I'm very sorry to see the pronounced lip swelling you've experienced. In my experience, Volbella produces little to no swelling but every patient is different. In addition to the ice, I would suggest Ibuprofen 200-400mg with every meal. Even better, your injector should be able to prescribe some orals steroids for a few days to rapidly reduce the swelling. There shouldn't be any long-term issues from this.

In addition to the products used, remember, especially with fillers, the skill of the injector is paramount. Always seek out an expert in facial aesthetics, such as a board-certified dermatologist to maximize results while minimizing side effects.

Lip swelling from Volbella

Swelling following Volbella injections

Since Volbella comes in a less than 1 ml syringe it is uncommon to see this type of swelling from one syringe. It does not appear to be a hematoma since there is no bruising. Swelling from HA fillers usually resolves in 48 hrs, however, I would recommend an oral steroid since this has you concerned. Be sure to contact your injector so they can see you as soon as possible. You should not have any long term consequences as a result of this swelling.  

Swelling following Volbella injections

Volbella and Lip Swelling

Volbella can sometimes cause this kind of swelling in the lip area when used directly into the lips and not the lines around it.  The swelling generally takes about a week to settle down and I would recommend ice and sleeping with your head elevated.  Restylane causes much less swelling in the lips.  Please consult an expert in lip injections for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Volbella and Lip Swelling

Swelling after Volbella

Siany,

This degree of swelling is more than I have seen after Volbella (or any other lip fillers).  I agree that ice and elevation are a minimum, though the provider that did the injections should be contacted and notified about the severe swelling.  Oral steroids should be started to decrease the swelling and you should be monitored closely to make sure this does not progress.

Best Wishes,

Summit Kundaria, MD

Charlotte, NC

Swelling after Volbella

Siany,

Best Wishes,

Summit Kundaria, MD

Charlotte, NC

Volbella

In addition to ice and elevation, you might consider taking a mild steroid such as a medrol dose pack or low dose prednisone.  For future treatments, you should ask to have your injections done with a microcannula which is less traumatic.  I'd also suggest going back to Juvederm or Restylane.

Volbella