Im a Server at a Restaurant and Im Having a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift and Aug, How Long Will Recovery Take?

How Long Will Recovery Take after Tummy Tuck?

The recovery experience will vary from one patient to another but, generally speaking, the recovery experience associated with tummy tuck or mommy makeover surgery is often underestimated by patients. In other words, it is a significant operation associated with a significant recovery, both from the physical (and often) emotional standpoints.  It is not unusual for some patients to require several months before they regain preoperative strength/stamina/energy levels.   What I have observed  is that many patients are about 70 to 80% of their energy level at the 4 to 6 weeks post op period and may require 3 to 4 months before they are 100%.  Again, it is not unusual for patients to experience significant emotional "ups and downs" as well.

Therefore, I think it is best to prepare for a “recovery” of 4 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.   Most patients require at least 2 to 4 weeks off work, depending on their job requirements;  I also ask patients to have full-time help for at least one to two weeks after the procedure is performed. Of course, experiences will vary from one patient to another but (again) many patients do not return to full strength and stamina for several months after the procedure is performed. Descriptions of recovery times shorter than this, in my opinion, is over-promising.

I have attached some advice I provide to my patients prior to undergoing mommy makeover surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Returning to Work

After a #tummytuck #surgery, #swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

I suggest waiting 6 weeks before returning to full activity without restrictions.

Ask your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon what they recommend.

Time off Work for Server

Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for postoperative care. Patients generally can return to light activity 7 to 10 post surgery. More strenuous activity can generally begin 2 to 6 months post surgery. Consult with your surgeon as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Returning to Work

Although every person heals differently and recovery can vary, as a generalization, I would suggest about 3 weeks before returning to a server's job after a tummy tuck and breast surgery.  Your abdominal muscles will be somewhat sore when bending or lifting,  and you will need to be careful about not stretching your arms up too high or straining your chest muscles too soon.  Often patients will return to light duty for a short time before increasing to regular duty with heavier lifting.  Good luck.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Post op wound strength

I generally recommend at least 2 week off work for an abdominoplasty and no lifting anything above your head for about 4 weeks after a breast lift.  At 1 month, your wounds have only recovered 15% of the original strength and can be damaged by excessive loading.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from surgery

Each person is different and much of when you can return to work will depend on how you're feeling, but in general we tell patients that two weeks off from work is common.  Some women, especially those who are on their feet for work, may find it helpful to take a modified shift, or come back to work part time for their first week returning as they may find they wear out more quickly.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Three Weeks Are Needed for Recovery After Mommy Makeover

While the combination of a tummy tuck and breast augmentation will make a major change to your body, it is important to allow an adequate time for recovery. The reality is that most patients initially think they will need less than they really do. And this Mommy Makeover is one operation that you definitely don't want to underestimate it. As a server, and I have had many patients who were servers, you need to allow for three weeks after surgery as a minumum. If you had a sitdown job that would be different. But your job is more physical than you realize, particularly when trying to bounce back from a tummy tuck.  

Recovery post tummy tuck and breast lift with augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon will have their own protocol but I would say in general you should be able to resume working as a server two weeks post op if everything goes as planned.  You still want to avoid really heavy lifting, but if you can modify how heavy your trays are, two weeks should be sufficient.  Good luck to you!!

Milind K. Ambe, MD