Is it unusual that my MD doesn't wear gloves when doing my Botox?

A glove in hand

Although each practitioner has their own preferences, it is common practice to wear non-sterile gloves when injecting Botox or any minor procedure. Hope this helps.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue & Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unusual?

Yes, this is unusual. I will wear gloves for all injections and procedures, but I cannot speak for other practices. Best, Dr. ALDO 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Wearing Gloves During Botox Treatment

I cannot speak for other plastic surgeons, however it is uncommon to not wear gloves. In my practice it is standard for me to wear gloves during all treatments and procedures. If you continue seeing this MD i advise for you to request for him to wear gloves.

Gloves

it's unlikely to cause any harm to you, however it is standard procedure for me to use gloves when doing any procedure on a patient.

Hello, and thanks for your question. Yes, this is not a typical practice. Best, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Injection and gloves

Though Botox is not a sterile procedure, I wouldn't be comfortable doing any injection, including antibiotics or steroids without gloves, for my own protection and also for protection of the patient, if I had seen another patient just before. 

Ram Chandra, MD
Edison Physician

Gloves for injections

While it is unusual for a physician not to wear gloves during procedures where any blood is involved, the gloves are primarily to protect the physician during the procedure as part of their required personal protection equipment. Unless your provider has open wounds or an infection that could be a potential source of contamination, it is unlikely that he is causing any harm to the patient if he does not wear gloves.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Gloveless Injector - Probably not a significant risk for patients but not a good habit

Botox injections are done normally with non sterile gloves. There is always a small amount of blood expressed during the injection. The gloves prevent spread of disease back to the injector in most cases. If there is a sore on the injector's hand, it is theoretically possible for it to spread to the patient. The practice of not wearing gloves violates OSHA standards and should not be standard practice.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

My doctor doesn't wear gloves during Botox

I always wear gloves during any injection.  There is a tiny amount of bleeding that can occur with Botox injection and I wouldn't feel comfortable not wearing gloves. 

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Gloves

Gloves are a safety tool that some injectors find it makes it harder to work with. Well fitting gloves and time make it hard to excuse not wearing gloves, but provided your doctor washes their hands they are really not putting you at risk.

Paul Munsanje, MD
London Physician