What the best treatment is for Axillary Breast Tissue removal? (photo)

I am a 26 yr old living in Seattle, WA with hopes of getting rid of my axillary breast tissue - for good. I've had this "fat or tissue" since I was about 4 years old. Exercise doesn't seem to help, which is why I'm almost certain it's not just "armpit fat". I'm looking forward to having this done. What is the typical price range for this procedure? Generally, how long is the healing process? (If your site has any before + afters of this procedure, let me know! I would love to check it out) Thanks!

Removal of Axillary Breast Tissue?

The treatment will depend on whether this truly glandular breast tissue (less common) versus fatty tissue excess. True glandular breast tissue will need to be removed by direct excision as it is too fibrous to be removed with liposuction. Fatty axillary tissue excess can be addressed with liposuction, but the success of the procedure will depend on how well the skin retracts after the underlying fat is removed by liposuction. For this reason it is sometimes necessary to directly remove or excise the extra skin. The downside of course is that removal of the skin will leave a scar. The scar can be placed more towards the armpit but to some extent it will extend more forward and thus potentially be more visible. This tends to be the biggest objection that many women have to getting this treated but it also tends to be the most effective approach. 

Flattening the poof in the axillary tail

can be accomplished by several methods as already detailed by your other responses.  You can contract your muscle and pinch the tissue above it and if thick, it can be flattened with liposuction and if this fails, then a direct excision.  If there is minimal fat, you could consider tightening the skin with skin contracting devices such as ThermiLift but have some kind of protection in case it doesn't work... like will you get a partial credit to something else or a free repeat if no effect?  Best of luck at achieving your goals.

Curtis Wong, MD

Axillary Fulness

If it is fat, liposuction.  If it is breast tissue, direct excision. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons for an examination. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

The best treatment for axillary breast tissue removal?

Thank you for your question and photo. Axillary fullness is often treated with other breast surgeries or by its own. Usually, liposuction will treat it adequately, but sometimes breast tissue excision is done at the same time via a small hidden incision in the armpit. Based on this single, restricted view photo, it is impossible to tell what would be the best and least invasive approach to improve this for you. This can be done under local anesthesia only. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation. Good luck.

Options For Improving The Appearance of Axillary breasts.

Hello and thank-you for your question and photo.

Axillary breasts can generally be corrected with liposuction. Based on your photo, liposuction should provide the needed correction. Coolsculpting is an non-invasive alternative to liposuction.  We have had significant improvement in correcting the fullness of the upper outer (axillary) part of the breast using the Cool Mini applicator.  Generally two sessions are required.  An in person consultation with a plastic surgeon board certified  by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be needed to determine if you are a candidate for this procedure.

Best of Luck.

Andre Lyos, MD, FAC

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Bra roll not usually axillary breast tissue

The roll of what appears to be fat above the breast at the front of the armpit is not usually breast tissue. Sometimes it is mostly fat, sometimes just a fold in the skin that appears to be fat but isn't. For those reasons it is not possible to offer a recommendation without an in-person evaluation. One option to consider is Kybella, which is a nonsurgical procedure.

Richard Baxter, MD

Axillary breast tissue or fat? Treatment?

From your photo I think that it's likely this area can be permanently contoured with a small liposuction procedure alone.  The latter can be performed either under local anesthesia or asleep in about 30 minutes.  If the "swelling" increases with your period it may be breast tissue so have a face to face evaluation with a bd certified plastic surgeon for the ultimate answer.  If it's only fat as I think it probably is, the improvement will be very satisfying for you.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Axillary Breast Tissue Removal

Either liposuction or direct excision and sometimes both are the normal methods for removing axillary breast tiissue or axillary fullness. If the problem is simply fat, then liposuction can work well unless there is excess skin as well.  It the problem consists of fat and fibrous breast tissue then an excision is usually the best.  This can be done with an incision up in the arm pit or axilla creases to minimize the scarring.  It can also be done with simple local anesthesia if you prefer.  Drains are not necessary and a rapid recovery approach will have you back doing things within a day or so.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Axillary breast tissue

Axillary fullness can either be fatty which is the most common or breast tissue. If your breasts swell or get painful during your menstrual cycle and the axillary tissue does also then it is a good bet that this is breast. tissue and is best treated by excision with liposuction contouring. Excess fat can be removed by liposuction. A consultation with a plastic surgeon should answer your question.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Subaxillary tissue

Thanks for your question.

Sometimes this area is fatty and liposuction alone will do the job. Sometimes it is fibrous and will require excision and even skin removal. Your PS will need to feel the area to help you decide. Cost will depend on which route is chosen.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon