Can you wear your eyeglasses after face and neck lift surgery?

I am very nearsighted and have a really hard time without my glasses. I am scheduled for surgery in September and it just occurred to me that wearing glasses might be a problem. Is it?

Can I wear eyeglasses after a face lift?

Generally, eyeglasses can be worn after a facelift.  You may experience some irritation around the ears and temples if your glasses rub on these areas.

If you feel uncomfortable, bring your eyeglasses to your surgeon to determine this.  If you are wearing a chin strap you can usually place the temple aspects of eyeglass over the bandage.  

Address this issue at your pre-operative visit.

Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wearing eyeglasses after face and neck lift surgery

You should be able to use your eyeglasses after surgery.  However, you do need to be careful when putting the glasses on or taking them off as to not disrupt the sutures.  The glasses may also fit snugly after surgery due to swelling.  Talk to your surgeon about your concern so that you know what to expect after surgery.

J. Douglas Robertson, MD, FACS
Montgomery Plastic Surgeon

Use of eyeglasses following face lift surgery

Dear zazusmom:

No worries. Use your glasses. Discuss with the surgeon or his surgical team the proper placement and proper disinfection of where your glasses hit the skin or cross an incision. 

All the best with your surgery!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Wearing glasses after facelift / neck lift surgery.

It's safe to wear eyeglasses after a facelift or neck lift surgery. Glasses may be a better option than contact lenses in this situation.

The side pieces of the glasses on cross the incision near the ear. After rhinoplasty, eyeglasses are restricted because of the direct pressure on the bridge of the nose. 

I recommend bringing up any questions or concerns with your surgeon to get their specific instructions to have a safe outcome after your surgery.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyeglass wear after facial cosmetic surgery #plasticsurgery

Wearing eyeglasses after a face and neck lift should be fine - there is generally some suturing or staples placed behind the ears in some face/neck lift patients, but these should not impede the ability to wear glasses.

Glasses or contacts after facelift surgery

Yes, glasses can and should be worn after your facelift and necklift surgery.  Many surgeons do not use bandages after the first night of your surgery.  Typically there will be some sutures along the top part of your ear where your glasses usually sit.  Therefore, it is important to be very careful as to how you are putting your glasses on and how much pressure you are putting on your ears.

The best way to figure this out is to bring your glasses to your next visit with your surgeon.  He/she can show you the best, safest way to wear your glasses after surgery.

Kyle T. Yamamoto, MD
Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wearing glasses after a lower face and neck lift surgery

In our practice,  we encourage patients to wear sunglasses after their procedure, especially if the eyelids  are done at same time. No bandages are used after the procedure, so patients can slip their glasses on and off quite easily. In our practice, we use drains that are left in place for 24 hours to minimize the bruising. The goals of a high-SMAS lower face and neck lift in our practice is to give a more permanent, natural and long lasting result. Tightening loose facial and neck skin, tightening loose facial and neck muscles, removal of fatty deposits in the neck, with a platysma plasty, lifting the jowls  are all performed to give a natural result. For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below

Hello zazusmom,

Usually you are able to wear your eyeglasses after a facelift.  However, the part that usually goes around the ear would need to be positioned a little higher so as not to irritate incisions that are usually placed there.  You should ask your surgeon for specific details, but that is what I tell my patients.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wearing Glasses after a Facelift

My patients usually leave their glasses off for the first night and can resume wearing them the day after surgery. Be careful putting your spectacles on and taking them off so that any sutures around your ears are not disrupted.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glasses or OK

Your glasses can be worn as you need to be safe.
Talk to your doctor about placement and cleaning for the surgery.