Scar excision from mole removal scar after other options have failed. (photos)

Last Dec. I had a mole removed via shave method. It healed poorly and left a deep depression and red color. In Apr, I had subcision with juvederm, June I had the same treatment, and Oct 3 the doctor leveled down the lower edges of the scar and injected juvederm. I understand I need to be patient, but it looks terrible and is really beginning to effect my quality of life. I am going to see two plastic surgeons about scar revision. Is that possible after all the juvederm injections?

Sunken scar

Thanks for your question. If subcision and fillers have not worked, then you could try microneedling which could smooth the edges. But my recommendation would be for excision of the scar, replacing it with a small linear scar with no contour deformity. Linear scars on the face usually heal very well to leave a discrete white line once fully healed, and can easily be covered with makeup if desired. With no contour deformity, the scar will not cast a shadow, and therefore will be less visible.

Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Scar after mole removal

At this point, the best option may be to excise the scar and suture the wound.  The goal would be to replace the current round sunken scar with a more acceptable scar that has the appearance of a thin curved white line.  I would recommend that you see a surgical dermatologist or plastic surgeon for in person evaluation.  

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Solutions with lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers

I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a scarring expert. This can be improved with a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Mole Shaving

Shaving a mole destroys tissue. If you also add cautery to the base of the shaved mole, more tissue is destroyed and the result is invariably a depressed scar, possible recurrence of the pigment id the pigment carrying cells are not completely destroyed.

This will leave a scar similar to a deep acne scar.

Treatment is very difficult. Excision of the scar to make a line of a scar and further treatment with carbon dioxide laser MAY improve it. You will always have a scar of some sort. the question is what you can live with?