What method of lipo will provide the most skin tightening and smoothness?

I'm a little lost looking into the TYPE of lipo to get. My surgeon uses S.A.F.E. lipo and I'm not sure if this will tighten the skin on my arms. I do not want to become more flabby on my arms after lipo so I'm hoping to find the type with the most tightening. Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated. I will be getting lipo to arms, back bra roll, hips and lateral thighs along with a revision of my TT which was 8 months ago. My goal is to find the lipo with most tightening and even results

Method of Liposuction?

The first thing to keep in mind is that the quality of your liposuction results has far more to do with the skill, experience, and judgement of your surgeon rather than the specific type of liposuction used. Just because your surgeon uses a S.A.F.E. technique or some particular energy device is no guarantee of a quality result, and there are no miraculous liposuction techniques which result in amazingly smooth and tight results. The degree of skin tightening has far more to do with the quality of your skin than with any particular technique that is used. 
Arm liposuction in particular is very dependent on the quality of your skin and degree of skin laxity. S.A.F.E. does nothing to produce some special degree of skin tightening, and if your skin is lax before the procedure it will be more lax afterwards. Also all types of liposuction introduce some degree of irregularity to the underlying fat layer and if your skin is thin with increased laxity this irregularity will be visible - a very common complaint with arm liposuction. I personally prefer to use laser liposuction, also known as SmartLipo, because the small diameter laser probe is more precise, and the laser technique does produce an extra degree of skin tightening not seen with other techniques. Still it is not a miracle machine and it will not produce amazing results in individuals with poor skin elasticity. 

Liposuction with skin tightening

let me start off by saying that 95% of all the surgeries I perform are liposuction with or without fat transfer.

I've worked with virtually every different liposuction modality.

Liposuction does not tighten skin!
It's as simple as that.

Liposuction only removes fat.

It is not the skin tightening procedure.

Adding lasers or ultrasound assistance or power assistance will not cause any change in skin tightening.
Skin tightening it requires surgery.

Skin removal procedures.

Anyone with enough skin laxity to have this be a real issue will either have to accept their skin as it is or have some type of skin surgery.
Do not look for the fountain of youth because it will not be found.

Look instead for the most talented plastic surgeon who will give you the best results possible with equipment available.

There's a substantial if not huge differenc in outcomes between providers who have true talent versus those who do not.
Liposuction has more marketing spin then any other surgical procedure I have ever seen.
Don't trust or believe in the hype.

Believe in the sanctity of talent.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction and Skin Tightening

This is very interesting question as it illustrates the large amount of confusion out there about what is possible and what is not in plastic surgery.  Over the years I have owned or tested a variety of liposuction devices including ultrasound, laser and radio frequency.  To date I have not seen any tightening of the skin after using any of these devices.  I like the SAFE liposuction technique, but it is just a variant of the standard liposuction that was described about 30 years ago no and still works very well.I hope that helps.Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - what is the best method??

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Above all, find a good plastic surgeon and let her/him recommend the machine.
  • It is the surgeon's skill, not the machine, that determines your result.
  • The S.A.F.E 'technique' simply means fat separation with fluid + fat removal for a balanced look -
  • It is a trademarked acronym for standard liposuction. It is not a unique technique.. 
  • The 'skin tightening' laser/ultrasound liposuction machines in my experience rarely tighten skin -
  • When fat is removed, there is always a risk that the skin will be looser - because the fat plumps out the skin.
  • Ask your surgeon what to expect with your arm liposuction - 
  • if the skin is already loose, liposuction might not be a good choice. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

I suggest a 4D HI DEFINITION contouring specialist if you want fat removal, contouring and skin tightening. An in person consult is needed to determine what is best based on your body type and skin type. VASER can sculpt and contour the body and results can be seen immediately. If you have excess skin this can be improved with ThermiRF or other devices that tighten skin to avoid scarring or skin removal. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction and Skin

Dr Hagstrom makes excellent and correct points. I would add that there is varying quality of skin elasticity among all patients. Two patients with the same amount of fat available to be removed will have different amounts of skin retraction after equal liposuction amounts. Anticipated results can be explained and demonstrated with decent accuracy when consulting with an experienced "specialized" surgeon. Experience, technique and the skills of the surgeon are crucial to the outcome. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. I think that you are going to get a variety of answers to this question. Some surgeons may promote one technique or device over another and this is most often because this is the device they have in their office and they need to pay the payment on it, so that is what they promote. I would say that while some technology may offer "more" skin tightening than others, liposuction as a whole is very poor at skin tightening. It is meant to remove fat. The only way to reduce skin is to remove it, and to do that requires incisions.
Hope this helps!