I had a labiaplasty 6 days ago but my bruising seems to have only appeared from day 4. Is this normal? (Photo)

My swelling is reducing though. But it is feeling bruised. I am to see the doc on day 9.

Delayed surgical bruising

This is common and usually of no concern.  However, I would just make sure your surgeon is aware as they may want to examine to be on the safe side.

You should heal just fine.

It can take several days for the bruising to appear

it is not unusual after any surgery, for the bruising to only appear after 4-7 days. it will take 2-3 weeks to go 

away and should be nothing to worry about.

good luck

david berman 

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Bruising can occur  after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.   I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.   Best of luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

LabiaplastyVaginal Rejuvenation

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Bruising after labiaplasty

I tell all my patients to expect some bruising that may migrate over the first week or two.  The area is very vascular but also the tissue is loose in the area allowing old blood to shift and spread out.  Your picture looks typical of many patients and should resolve in a timely manner.  

Dr. ODell

My "black & blue" areas after labiaplasty seem to be "shifting... What gives??

The blood seepage that frequently accompanies labial surgery & the subsequent healing process is "shifting" a bit is all. There are loose tissue planes in the area, & it is not unusual to have the "black & blue" areas change a bit. All will be absorbed within 7-10 days. Not to worry!

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

It seems like you are healing quite nicely.  The bruising is normal and doesn't always happen.  Bruising can look worse before it looks better.  Be sure to inform your doctor with any sudden changes in your recovery.

Some bruises are worse than others

You have bruising with minimal swelling. This suggests that you do not have a hematoma. You should heal just fine and your bruises should resolve in a few weeks.

Bruising after labiaplasty

Thank you for your question and photos. It is common to have bruising after this surgery. Ice packs and NSAIDs will help with the healing process and to treat discomfort from the bruising. 

Post Op Bruising

Bruising is a normal part of the healing process. You may continue to look different daily as you continue to heal over the next 6 weeks. We oftentimes show patients, in photos, how healing after the procedure can evolve so they are not alarmed when they see changes happening. Follow your surgeons after care and best of luck.
Dr. Jennifer S. Hayes, FACOOG, Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon