Can Kybella produce dramatic results that look identical to facial liposuction? (photos)

I'm thinking about getting Kybella injections to decrease sub mental fat but I think a lot of the results look 'tame'. Can Kybella give a truly dramatic transformation in the chin-neck slope and produce an acute angle like some liposuction cases?

Kybella or liposuction

if a very dramatic result is needed as seen in these pictures the cost and time of kybella will be outweighed by liposuction.  Kybella is great for someone that has "some fat" and not looking to go through surgery.  But if more than 5-6 txt of kybella are required, then it may be best to consider liposuction.  Hope that helps!

Kybella vs. submental liposuction

I may be a bit biased since I am a plastic surgeon who has been performing liposuction for over 20 years.  For uncomplicated liposuction under the chin (submental  suction lipectomy), we charge $1500. This includes the preoperative appointment, procedure, and all postoperative followups. We have laughing gas available at no additional charge.  The procedure requires a single 4 mm (less than 1/4") incision and takes about 45" to an hour.  You will have to wear a compression garment 24/7 (minus showers) for 2 weeks and 16/7 for an additional 2 weeks. Please read the realself reviews of our practice, as many of our patients have posted pre- and postoperative photos of liposuction under the chin.

Kybella is a very reasonable alternative for those patients who do not wish to undergo liposuction.  However, it requires more treatments, more downtime, and greater expense.  Kybella typically requires 2 to 4 treatments, each with at least 2 weeks of associated social downtime due to bruising, swelling, and redness and typically runs $2000 to $4800.

I do not personally have sufficient experience with Kybella to determine its efficacy relative to liposuction.  My impression at this point, however, is that liposuction is generally more effective.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Kybella vs. Liposuction

Both Kybella and liposuction can effective for treating excess fat under the chin. The advantages of Kybella are that it is a non-surgical procedure with little to no down time. However, it does take multiple treatments. The right procedure for you is really going to depend on your expectations. My best advise would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can assess you in person. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella vs liposuction

Hello, and thanks for your question. Kybella is a great alternative to liposuction, given the results can be nearly as good and the risks are somewhat lower. It's hard to say whether the results are truly "identical," both both treatments work well. However, Kybella takes longer, as injections are spaced out every couple of months for about 2-4 sessions total, sometimes more. Also, Kybella can only be used to treat fat within a specifically defined anatomical window. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella results

Both Kybella and liposuction can be used to treatment submental fat. Rarely does a nonsurgical treatment option give as dramatic results as surgical treatment. That being said, Kybella is a safe and effective nonsurgical treatment option for double chin offering minimal downtime and long lasting results. I recommend an in-person consultation with an experienced injector to discuss your cosmetic concern and treatment expectations and to formulate a treatment plan.

Kybella versus Lioposuction

Both Kybella and liposuction can be used successfully to permanently treat the fat under the neck. What is amazing about Kybella is that it is through an injection and after two or four treatments you will permanently reduce the far under your neck. Please consult a specialist in this permanent injection. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella vs Liposuction Results

Thanks for your question!  Both Kybella and liposuction can permanently remove fat cells from the double chin area.  While liposuction results can be appreciated fairly quickly post procedure, Kybella often takes a series of injections spaced 6-8 weeks apart to get the same result.  Consult with a surgeon experienced with both options to get the best recommendations for you!  Best of luck!

Thank you for sharing your question.  The success of any procedure depends on appropriate patient selection and Kybella and liposuction are no different.  Kybella affords patients a minimally invasive method of reducing submental adipose tissue with little downtime.  This convenience does come with the potential need for multiple treatments to reach a desired result but also is less flexible than liposuction.  Liposuction does well in the neck with select patients and allows for removal of greater amounts of fat in a single setting.  Talk to your ASPS board certified plastic surgeon to discuss which option is best for you and your lifestyle. 

Kybella results

Thank you for your question shakira2000. Kybella is the first FDA-approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. Non-surgical treatments generally do not provide as dramatic a result as surgical treatments. Non-surgical treatments such as Kybella are designed for those who do not want surgery. That being said, results with a series of Kybella treatments are very impressive. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Kybella versus Neck Liposuction

I think with repeated treatments of Kybella(between 2 and 3), you can get results that are similar to submental liposuction. It may not produce exactly the same look as a surgical result, but if you have good skin tone and follow through with the recommended number of treatments, your result should be more than satisfactory. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon