Prepping for Kybella in 3 weeks. (photo)

I am getting Kybella in 3 weeks. I would like to know what I should do in advance to get ready.

Kybella Prep

Thank you for your question. There's not much prep involved with Kybella. Stop taking aspirin or ibuprofen a week before your injection. This will help with bruising, which is very minimal to nonexistent with Kybella injections.

Preparing for Kybella

The most important thing to do before your treatment is to discontinue any blood thinning type of medicines. If you are taking these, it will increase your chance of bruising. Also be prepared for swelling for 3 to 4 days. Overall Kybella is a very simple treatment and bruising is rare.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

One of the great things about Kybella is that it doesn't really involve any prep or much in the way of recovery. If you want, you can stop any aspirin or ibuprofen for the week before your appointment, especially if you are prone to bruising. But, in general, there isn't a lot of post op bruising with Kybella. Hope this helps and good luck. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azaar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Prep

I would be prepared for a few days of swelling and possible bruising from Kybella.  Like any cosmetic injection I would not take any blood thinners or vitamins which cause bruising for two weeks before the procedure.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Prepping for kybella

I recommend that my patients stop aspirin and NSAIDS (motrin, advil, etc) for 2 weeks before.  I also have my patients stop fish oil/omega oils which can also have an aspirin like effect and increase bruising.  My patients have found that taking an over the counter antihistamine like Cetirizine (one brand name is Zyrtec) each day for one day before, the day of and the day after can help with the swelling.  Some patients have taken Benadryl instead-but be aware that benadryl can make you sleepy.    Clear your social calendar (or have a sense of humor about swelling) for the 3 days after because the neck swells as the Kybella goes to work on the fat and you may feel a little like a pelican!  Really though it's not that bad-just be prepared for some swelling.  Good luck - our patients have been really happy with the Kybella so far.

Jonathan Hall, MD

No preparation for Kybella

The great thing about Kybella is that there is no prep involved prior to going to the office for your treatment. The one thing that I would recommend is to hold off using any aspirin products or NSAIDS for one week prior, as these can potentially increase your chances of bruising. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Preparing For Kybella

Thanks for your question!  I applaud your advanced planning!  I tell my patients to stop taking any medication that can thin the blood, such as aspirin or ibuprofen.  For any other specific recommendations,  I would call the physician's office where you are being treated.  Every place has different protocols.  Best of luck to you!

Preparation for Kybella

Thank you for your question mereward. Kybella is the first FDA-approved non-surgical, injectable treatment for the double chin. The only absolute contraindication is having an infection in the treatment area. So other than protecting the area from infections, there is not specific pre-treatment regimen. For my patients I recommend avoiding medications and dietary supplements which thin the blood to reduce the risk of bruising. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

How to prepare for Kybella under the chin

To prepare for your treatment, you'll want to discontinue any NSAIDS (Naproxen, Ibuprophen, etc), aspirin or aspirin containing products 10 days prior to your treatment. You'll also want to discontiue St John's Wort, Viatmin E, Fish Oil and Garlic supplements 3 days prior to your treatment. Arrive with no makeup or products on your chin and neck. You may also want to take Arnica 3 days prior to your treatment, if you are prone to bruising (optional). Men may shave the day of the treatment, however, it is not necessary.

Chris Pate, MD
Wilmington Family Physician

Kybella treatments

There is nothing you need to do to prep for the Kybella treatment except avoid use of NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Motrin etc), aspirin, supplements such as flax seed, fish oil, gingko, ginseng etc for 7-10 days prior to your Kybella treatment. Some people believe they can decrease bruising by using bromelain or arnica for the week prior to, and after, their treatments. If you use anti-coagulant medication daily for cardiac reasons, I would also recommend that you speak to your physician before any treatment to get their input as well.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician