It's been 4 weeks since my 2nd Kybella treatment, and there are a lot of small, hard lumps under my chin. Is this normal?

Lumps After Kybella

Hello, No need to worry, nodules are common. The nodules you feel are the fat cells that have been damaged. It can take up to 8 weeks for your body to soften and reabsorb the nodules. Hope this helps.

Kybella and Nodules

it is normal to have swelling or nodules after Kybella injections. Kybella is a fabulous injection and the results are permanent.  When the modules resolve you can have the next injections. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella Lumps and Bumps

Thanks for your inquiry!  Yes it is common to notice hardened lumps in the treated area appearing about a week after initial treatment. In my patients, I have noted these as coagulated fat lumps lasting up to a few weeks after the first treatment and consistently less following each subsequent treatment. This is an average observed time frame so the exact duration depends on your body's healing process. If you feel discomfort from these lumps or have observed them for more than 4 weeks, I recommend visiting your physician to obtain tips and suggestions for assisting the healing process.

Nodules after Kybella

Hello, and thanks for your question. This is a common finding after Kybella injection. It should resolve over the coming weeks. If it does not seem to be improving, I suggest following up with your physician. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps under chin where Kybella was placed

This is normal to experience after repeated Kybella treatments. It is essentially areas where the fat cells have been destroyed and now the body has developed an inflammatory reaction in these areas to clean it up. Over time these will soften and the overlying skin will contract for a more refined chin contour. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

this is good, it means you will get a better outcome from the treatment.  Massage and RF treatments like exilis and venus legacy make this improve more quickly.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hard bumps after Kybella

Yes, it is quite normal that you have hard bumps after Kybella. This is actually a good sign of the treatment and its effectiveness. They will soften in about 4-6 weeks. I know they feel strange but they are actually normal. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your Kybella treatments.  Once injected Kybella damages the fat cell's walls allowing for the body's immune system to clear the fat to leave you with a smoother, sharper neck contour.  Small bumps are the result of the fat being damaged by the treatment and is not uncommon.  These will gradually soften and disappear in the 4-6 weeks after treatment.  Hope this helps.

These hard nodules are fairly common after Kybella treatment and actually are a good sign that your fat cells have been damaged by the chemical in Kybella. The nodules are small areas of fat that have been damaged and hardened. They will soften and reabsorb usually by 8 weeks after treatment. 

Kybella Recovery

It is very normal to still have some bumps in the areas that were treated. These should resolve in the next couple weeks. If you need a third treatment, I would advise that you wait for these to resolve before you proceed.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon