I had my first Kybella treatment 8 weeks ago - 2 doses. How long between treatments can one go with successful end results?

Due to illness and life events and the business of my surgeon's office, I may have to go 11 weeks between my 1st and 2nd treatment - is this acceptable? The first treatment showed very little difference (using 2 vials) - which I know is typical (but also very expensive). Can I go 11 weeks and expect success, or should I just give up, or try to find another provider? Thanks for your help.

Kybella interval

It is perfectly acceptable to go for 11 weeks in between treatments.  The plan is typically to do the next treatment 6-8 weeks later, because you want the effect of the Kybella dissolving the fat and the skin tissue remodeling to occur before the next go around.  There is no disadvantage to going longer in between other than it takes longer to get to the final endpoint.  The treatment should still be equally good whether it is done 6 wks, 11 wks or more later.

Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Longer intervals between Kybella treatments are OK

You do not lose the effect of Kybella by waiting longer between treatments. It is more important to not do them too close together.

Richard Baxter, MD

Kybella 101 and Time Between Treatments

I would not be worried about waiting 11 weeks until your next Kybella procedure. The timing between treatments is less important than the number of treatments. We Routinely wait more than 8 weeks between treatments and results can continue to be seen up to 6 months. It's a great treatment but in many cases takes time and additional injections to see desired results. Most of our patients need approximately 3 sessions of injections to see a nice reduction in the appearance of their double chin. Understanding the procedure is important. Kybella is a naturally occurring molecule that helps metabolize fat. It disrupts the fat cell membranes. As soon as it hits, it causes lysis - destroying the  cell membrane. After that, the fat cell releases its fatty content, and the body metabolizes it.

I hope this has been helpful information. My best, Dr. Rajani

Anil Rajani, MD
Portland Physician

Getting the results you want with Kybella, Thermage, Ultherapy, Vaser, ThermiRF

It's o.k. to wait 6-8 weeks or more between treatments. However, for best results with Kybella, I recommend a combination approach with thermage/ultherapy/exilis. Another alternative would be VASER liposuction in combination with ThermiRF or ultrasound are best for contouring the chin, if you're a candidate. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Is there an optimal time inbetween Kybella injections for success?

Hello elw123,

Thank you for sharing your question and common concern. Regarding time interval between Kybella injections current recommendations are a minimum of 4 weeks between injections however most, myself included, will wait 6-8 weeks between injections knowing as well up to 4 treatments will be needed to achieve the desired results. The results will be additive thus if you can't have your next treatment for 11-12 weeks this will not have an adverse effect on your final outcome, just delay the ultimate outcome. Regarding expense knowing these parameters of time and money liposuction of the neck can accomplish the same final outcome at one setting with minimal "down time". Be well.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Understand that you are having Kybella to avoid a very safe, comfortable, and predictable neck liposuction.

Kybella is an alternative to surgery but for some, not the best alternative.  

Waiting longer than 4 weeks between Kybella treatments is probably a very helpful think.  Many of us wait 6 weeks between treatments.  Remember that most patients having Kybella need 6 sessions.  For many, these means that Kybella will be more expensive than having a neck liposuction with 4 days of down time but accomplishes the neck improvement in a single procedure.