What are the risks of getting calcification sites after all the Kybella injections?

My family member is a physician and mentioned that with injections, there is always a risk of calcification forming?

This question is left unanswered by the extensive FDA studies performed in the approval process for Kybella.

Fat necrosis or death can be associated with the formation of microscopic calcification.  Calcification is not a reported issue with Kybella treatment.  If it does occur, it would be inconsequential.  Nodules are reported in 14% of cases.  Most resolve on their own.  It is reasonable to assume that some of these might be associated with microcalcification but this is not a significant concern.  Some surgeons are uncomfortable with Kybella.  Understandably because a service that could only be done by a surgeon (neck liposuction) can now be done by any trained physician.  Liposuction is a very reliable service with very little down time.  In comparison, Kybella treatment causes more swelling and discomfort than what is a associated with a well executed neck liposuction.  Kybella is not a one and done procedure.  Individuals may need as many as 6 session at one month intervals.  Still for those who just do not want surgery, Kybella creates the ability to make a difference in a fatty neck without surgery. 

Kybella injection

Calcifications occur when fat cells are made ischemic due to blood supply cutoff, and the fat then undergoes fat necrosis, and the body attacks it.  This is much different than the process involved with Kybella, which is an enzyme that dissolves fat cells, allowing your body's natural cells to absorb those contents and get rid of them over a couple months.  Thus, I believe the chance for calcifications after Kybella are minimal, and I have not experienced it.

What are the risks of getting calcifications after Kybella injections?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Areas of firmness, and possibly calcification, can occur with any injectable treatment, typically as a result of fat necrosis.  As Kybella injures the fat by dissolving it the risk of calcification is quite low when performed appropriately.  Hope this helps.

Kybella and Side Effects

Kybella is a great treatment for submental fat and does not cause calcifications.  You can have some swelling and temporary nodules which all resolve.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Calcification Risk With Kybella?

I have not found kybella to cause calcification.  you can get hardness that will resolve over time with massage and RF treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.