FUE: Can you wash your hair the day after surgery?

Is it ok to wash hair the next day? Is there any special shampoo required?

Washing After Hair Transplant

I recommend my patients start washing the day after their hair transplant with baby shampoo.  I have them wash twice per day for 2 weeks being gentle the first 7 days and advancing to a more aggressive washing procedure.  The idea is to stimulate circulation to the grafts, keep the grafted area clean, and start to break free the scabs around the follicles.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Washing your hair after surgery.

Yes you should wash your hair after a surgery the very next day to get rid of the crusts so the recipient area is clean. It should be washed every day. A discussion of this is covered in the web reference below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care

you can wash your hair the day after the procedure, provided you are very gentle with the grafts implanted in the recipient area. As for shampoos, you should ask your doctor for his recommendations, some doctors prefer some shampoos over others. We have special formulated shampoos that we provide for about clients to use after the procedure.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Yes

It is always a good idea to follow YOUR DOCTOR'S recommendation and post-op instructions.

In general most doctors advocate washing the hair day after surgery.

There are no specific shampoos but some doctors use a shampoo formulated with copper peptide.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair washing after transplantation

Thanks for your question.  We encourage all of our patients to carefully wash their hair beginning the day after the procedure (and we offer this in our office).  I suggest that you keep the area moist and pour water gently over the transplanted area.  You can lather the back of the head and apply lather to the grafted area, then rinse gently.  We usually suggest that patients can rinse more aggressively by the fifth or sixth day post-transplant. --Scott Boden, MD 

Scott Boden, MD
Hartford Hair Restoration Surgeon

Washing Hairs After the Operation

We advise to follow your doctor's instructions. In our clinic, we wash our patients hair with baby shampoo one day after the surgery and show them how to do it for the following days. We also advise to wash gently and use warm water during the first week.

Thanks

Hakan Doganay, MD
Turkey Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shampooing Hair after Transplant

In general follow your doctor/surgeon instructions. In my practice we have all our patients use a gentle sulfate free shampoo in the evening, the day after surgery. We have our patients lather the shampoo in their hands and dab it onto the grafted area followed by a gentle cool rinse from a cup. The idea is to keep the area free of bacteria to prevent a secondary infection.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Wash

It depends on what you mean by wash. Every clinic is unique and you should really discuss this directly with your doctor. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Washing the hair & scalp after surgery - what is needed?

Check with your surgeon on what he or she recommends. In general, it's not OK to wash one's hair normally - it must be done in a very delicate manner. 

There are dozens of different ways one can wash the hair after surgery - but they all follow the same principle - be delicate not to dislodge the precious new grafts. Some surgeons recommend taking a cup of soapy water and gently rinsing it over the grafts, some recommend putting a wet facecloth on the scalp and letting soapy wanter run down, and other recommend lathering soap in one's hands and gently patting the new hairs. 

All these techniques achieve the same thing - gently remove debris and blood and moisturize the scalp. 

With the exception of medicated (2 in 1 shampoos) and highly scented shampoos, most routine shampoos are OK - but check with your surgeon first.