Fat transfer to breasts - Brava or no Brava?

I am considering fat transfer to breasts (lipo from arms, back bra roll and hips). I was not instructed to use Brava..does Brava make a difference? I have a bit of sagging not much, but I do have room in there for more fat. Please help me understand the benefits of Brava.

Brava and Breast Fat Transfer?

The benefit of the BRAVA device is that it pre-expands the breast skin and tissues and probably enhances breast tissue blood supply which allows for successful transfer of larger amounts of fat in a single operation. So the primary difference is that you could achieve a larger end result by using the BRAVA. The problem though is that the BRAVA device must be worn every day for much of the day for about six weeks, so in practice it is not something that most patients can realistically use. If you have some skin laxity then using the BRAVA wouldn't be of great benefit unless you are trying to achieve more than a cup size increase.

Brava Breast Fat Augmentation

The Brava device may be of benefit in certain women who have tight breast tissues limiting the amount of fat which may be transferred.  The benefit of a small amount of augmentation should be weighed against the inconvenience of wearing the device with its associated cost.  The funds invested for purchase of the device may be better allocated towards a second fat grafting to give more volume.Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Brava or no Brava

I have used Brava only in instances of severe constrictions.  We have not found great benefit of Brava regarding overall and long term retention. 

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Fat transfer to the breasts can be achieved successfully with or without BRAVA external expander. One can achieve about one cup size increase without BRAVA and a little more with BRAVA. The BRAVA expander is advantageous in tight, very glandular or fibrous breasts in which "space" has to be created and increased vascularity to allow for better graft survival. This is true for post mastectomy reconstruction with or without previous radiation treatment, in tight tuberous breasts or underdeveloped breasts. As far as I am aware, BRAVA is not used in most parts of the world. See a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in fat grafting to the breasts with or without BRAVA. Good luck.

Fat transfer

The original article used the Brava system. To my knowledge, there is no information showing that it is better. I don't use Brava, but am not doing big fat transfers to the breast.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon