3 weeks post opt BBL . What can I expect at this stage ? How much more swelling will go down ? (photos)

Hi all ! At this point I'm extremely happy with my BBL and I'm feeling almost 100% normal . I've been ok'd by my doctor I can start sitting . I love my new shape ( I had major lipo in tummy area ) I haven't noticed much shrinkage , will I start to see a decrease in size at this point ? I have noticed my BBL getting more round , which I like . Before it was a bit " ledgy" if that makes sense .

Too early to judge on the final result. You are still at the healing stage. The area in your lower back will be still bruised and swollen and this will take 8-12 weeks to settle. Wear your garment and keep your follow up with your surgeon.  You have to give your body at least 12 weeks to start seeing results and final results can take 3-6 months depending the way your body heals

Best of luck!!

How long for swelling to go down after liposuction?

Swelling after liposuction can persist for up to 3-6 months, if you can believe that, so your tummy will very likely go down in size further. Be sure you're following your surgeon's instructions in terms of compression/abdominal binders/garments as this can help the swelling resolve faster and can help shape you a bit better. The fat grafted areas will also likely shrink a bit more over time and the fat will settle down more, as you're starting to already see. I find that at 3 months, the size of the buttocks are fairly stable. 

Tracy Kayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

BBL results

You can expect swelling around the liposuction areas for 6-12 months. I make all my patient's wear compression garments for 6 weeks to help minimize swelling. You may see increased swelling in the surgical areas after increase in activity. 3 weeks is still early in your postoperative course. Make sure that you are following up with your plastic surgeon. Congratulations. 

#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery #beverlyhills #curves #weightloss #bodysculpting 

Sejal M. Patel, MD

3 weeks post opt BBL . What can I expect at this stage ? How much more swelling will go down ?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.... 

After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Thank you for your question and photographs.

Generally, most of the swelling has resolved by 6-8 weeks and you should start to see your final results by then. During the recovery period leading up to that your buttocks will continue to change slightly as the swelling resolves but my 8 weeks you should be able to get an idea of what your final outcome will look like. Best of luck in your recovery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon