I have an ugly keloid in my belly button after getting a hysterectomy. Might I get another in my belly button after TT? (Photo)

I had a hysterectomy done 10 yrs ago, due to this surgery I have an ugly keloid in my belly button , I don't like it :( I used to have a nice belly button . Am thinking to have a TT but I'm afraid I'll get a keloid in there again. I had Breast lift 2 yrs ago and my scars are ok ( normal ) do you think it's posible that I might get a keloid in my belly button after Tt? Thank you :)

I have an ugly keloid in my belly button after getting a hysterectomy. Might I get another in my belly button after TT?

That looks more like hypertrophic healing rather than a keloid.  You have since demonstrated that you can carry out normal healing (lift).  You will not necessarily have hypertrophic healing again.  Good luck.

You may not have any issues with poor scarring at all, but this is difficult to predict.

10 days is too early to consider scar revision.

And abdominoplasty will completely redo the umbilicus. The picture demonstrates a scar 10 days after surgery in active remodeling. It will change substantially over time.

Keloid Scar

Keloid scars can occur in one area and not others, and often will reoccur after excision so it might reoccur after an abdominoplasty. If your keloid is really a hypertrophic scar and was associated with delayed wound healing or infection at your first surgery, it may not reoccur when reexcised. If it recurs, steroid injections and profractional laser treatments can improve it.

Thank you for your question and that is the strange thing about keloids - you can get them in one area and not in another. In this situation your keloid may have been related to the wound creation and after care following your hysterectomy and should not occur again with an abdominoplasty Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Worried about scar after bad scar from hysterectomy

You had a laparoscopic hysterectomy. The tummy tuck can remove the scar unless the belly button itself is damaged. Discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Belly button scar

Hello Bene40-
Keloids don't usually occur around the belly button, but hypertrophic scars can occur. These scars are usually easily treated with a little Kenalog injection. If you get a tummy tuck, a bit of a hypertrophic scar may again occur, but just make sure that you and your plastic surgeon catch it early (in first three months) so you can consider injecting it with Kenalog earlier. I would not let this concern stop you from getting a tummy tuck if you desire the changes it can give you and you have found a good surgeon. 
Good luck.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Keloids after a tummy tuck

It is possible to get another keloid either at your belly button or across a portion of your abdominal scar after a tummy tuck. Silicone gel and tape used after surgery can minimize the appearance of scars and keloids. Occasionally steroid injections are needed after surgery to also reduce the recurrence rate of keloids.

William Bruno, MD

Will Keloid in Belly Button Recur

There is no way of knowing if you will or will not develop a keloid post TT.  There is a risk that you will develop a keloid post surgery. The question to ask yourself is, how will I live with this keloid when it does occur?  At this point in time the treatment of keloids may improve but usually  does not eradicate  the problem.