Is it normal after 9 days of having smart lipo to not see any real shape difference to the legs due to swelling? (Photo)

I had smart lip 9days ago and they removed 1.5litres from ankles and legs. I am still leaking from 3 of my incision points. I have my post opp appointment yesterday and they didn't seem concerned but I see no difference yet! I wear my compression garment all day unless washing and have to do this for 5 more weeks.

Thanks for your picture.  The final shape after any liposuction procedure takes time to evolve.  It may take 3 months or more.  Try to have patience.  Best wishes.

Need more time

Legs, calves, and ankles tend to really retain a lot of fluid due to gravity, and swelling is very common. I would anticipate it will take at least 4 weeks to really start seeing the results, and probably 4 months before you see your final result. Keep up with the compression and try to be patient, and hopefully after the next 2-3 weeks you will see significant improvement.

Post liposuction

Everything you are seeing is normal and due to swelling. The appearance of your abdomen will continue to improve as you continue to heal. Be patient with your recovery, this is all normal following liposuction. Good luck with your recovery.

Dean Vistnes, MD.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #realself  #liposuction 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Give it some time

Healing from a SmartLipo procedure happens in stages. Numbness characterizes the first stage and should disappear within days of leaving the recovery room. The swelling generally goes away in no more than one week. At this time, you will be able to carry on normal activities. Most patients’ skin is completely back to normal within three months of the procedure. It is important to follow your doctor’s after care instructions. Please do keep on with the compression garment, it helps to reduce swelling.

As with any surgical procedure, there are risks associated with SmartLipo, Rare infection and/or hematoma, a collection of blood underneath the skin, can happen following this procedure. Some patients experience minor swelling and bruising, and in your case, the ongoing swelling bears this out. The possibility of burns exists due to the laser’s heat. Asymmetrical or lopsided results and minor scarring can be long-term risks involved with SmartLipo or any liposuction or surgical procedure. Choosing an experienced and reputable doctor can greatly decrease the possibility of any side effects and can lead to better results

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be more patient

it often takes 2 months before you even start to see a difference and you will continue to improve for over 6 months. Calves and ankles can be even slower due to they hold the fluid more due to gravity. 
i would add that seems like a very large amount to remove from those areas.
wearing a compression garment is a good too. 
good luck

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Leg swelling 9 days after Smart Lipo

It is normal to have swelling in the legs after SmartLipo in those areas. It can take up to 3 months to see contour changes and swelling reduction, and up to 6 months to see final results. Wearing a compression garment will help with the swelling. Also, elevating the legs and ankles during the day and eating a low sodium diet will decrease swelling. Be sure to comply with your doctors post procedure instructions.

Smart lipo post op 9 days

Thank you for your question. You are in very early stage of healing and swelling will last several weeks after the procedure. Please follow the instructions from your PS and reevaluate after 3 months.

Is it normal after 9 days of having smart lipo to not see any real shape difference to the legs due to swelling?

SmatLipo + lipo lower legs has severe swelling for upto 6 weeks! Massages, external ultra sound and Thermi Smooth 250 RF sessions help speed recovery.

Smartlipo expectations

Thank you for your post. You should not expect to see any results yet. This is really a process. You may start to see some changes by 4-6 weeks, but really takes a full 3 months before new and improved contours should be expected. It can take even 9-12 months to see some of the skin improvements. Hang in there, and follow your surgeon's instructions. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Normal recovery

It is perfectly normal to have significant swelling in the first week or two after any lower extremity liposuction to include SmartLipo. The ankles and lower legs are especially susceptible to postoperative swelling for a number of reasons - especially plain old gravity. The compression garment is an essential part of your recovery. Hang in there.Dr C