3 months post op breasts are slightly firm and still full in upper pole area. Should I be concerned? (photos)

I had breast augmentation done 3 months ago, 335cc under the muscle silicone moderate profile. They have dropped a little but they are still more full in the upper pole and are a bit firm. I am pretty happy with my results but would just like to know based on the pictures provided if they seem to be coming along normally. These concerns I will of course bring up with my plastic surgeon but it is always good to get more opinions. Thank you.

Your breast augmentation results appear to be normal for this stage.

At 3 months after your breast augmentation, your results look normal. Some upper pole fullness is not uncommon at this stage. Breast implants can take up to 6 months to fully settle as your skin and tissue stretch to accommodate the added volume. Your breast implants may begin to feel softer and drop more into the lower pole in the next 3 months. Wait until you’ve hit the 6-month mark, then re-evaluate your results and see if you still have questions or concerns. If you do, you may want to see your plastic surgeon.

3 months post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Concerns of Implant not completely dropping 3 months postop

Thank you for your question Dennise.

I believe your breasts are coming along really well.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio.

You have reached the minimum time it takes to achieve final results. However, you may benefit from waiting 3 more months (6 months total) for the final results. If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

I would like to let you know that for some of my own patients the implants had not settled until 5-12 months. With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts dropped. Patience is key!

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Drop & Fluff

It takes between 2-6 months for the breasts to drop and fluff so you can still expect to see changes as your implants settle.
All the best

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Thank you for your question. It appears that every thing is healing nicely for you . 3 months is a good mark for final post op results but some take a bit longer depending on how tight the skin envelope is to begin with. If you were relatively small to start with, it may take 6 months to really drop and soften. Best wishes in your recovery.

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Healing process

It appears you are healing properly.  Healing occurs at different rates and your skin may need a bit longer to stretch.  Contact your surgeon for different types of massage that you may try to assist in this process.

Camille Cash, MD

Implants at 3 months

At 3 months you look like these are headed in the right direction. Best of luck with your results....

No cause for concern

You are still early in the recovery process and it is normal for breasts to be high and tight this soon after surgery, especially if you had very small breasts to begin with. The skin needs time to stretch to accommodate the new implants and settle into place. Most implants "drop" within 3 months following surgery but everyone is different and some people can take up to a year before the implants settle into their permanent position. Your tissue just needs some more time to adjust.  The lower pole should fill up more after they drop. Give it time and be patient and the shape and size should improve over time. Check with your surgeon to determine their recommendations.