Can I get my $500 down payment back from my Breast argumentation surgery?

I had a consultation with a surgeon that I liked in person and excitedly gave them $500 for a down payment, to lock in the price. It was 12 months in advance and is currently still 6 months away but I'm having second thoughts and really like a different surgeon. Is it terrible to ask for my money back? I figure it's far enough in advance where it wouldn't effect filling in the slot with another patient. Could I get my money back? Should I try? What's the etiquette here?

Refund of surgery deposit.

The office you scheduled surgery with should have had you read and sign a financial policy form when your originally signed in. That policy would state the way the office handles cancellations. If you don't have a copy of it you can always ask for it. If the policy states that the booking fee is nonrefundable and you read and signed it I don't think you will be able to get your fee back. Each office is different in how they handle these situations.
Best

Receiving Down Payment back

Each office has different financial policies. However, most offices should be able to refund your money without any issues. It is worth exploring.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

500$ deposit

While each plastic surgery office has their own policies about scheduling deposits and when they can be refunded, I can't imagine that in six months, this office can't replace your time with another patient. I would go back and read the materials that were given to you and then politely ask for your return. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Can I get my surgery deposit back before my breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  No, it is not terrible to ask for your money back.  You need to make the decision that is right for you in terms of choosing a surgeon.  Every office is different regarding their policies toward the refunding of surgery deposits.  You will find that most offices (including mine) adhere to the policy that a surgery deposit is non-refundable.  As you mentioned, when you decide to book a surgery, your surgeon fills his time with your specific case.  If you cancel, that spot may go unfilled or it may have prevented someone else from having surgery.  
Now you are still 6 months out from surgery.  Definitely call their office and ask the office manager if you can get your deposit back.  At that time you will have to cancel your surgery.  Their office may have a policy that if you cancel that far in advance, you may be able to get some or all of your deposit back.  But if you signed a financial policy stating the deposit is non-refundable, which most offices have, then you are probably on the hook for the $500.  Best of luck!

Can you get your deposit back?

Considering you are giving 6 months notice, I think that is an adequate amount of time for the practice to fill that spot.  If you were my patient, I would encourage you to keep your appointment, but if you had made up your mind to go elsewhere, we would be flexible.  It can't hurt to call and ask.  Good luck!

Refund of a Down Payment.

Greetings,     You should inquire by telephone about obtaining a refund for surgery, scheduled 6 months from now.       If this does not work, you might suggest that despite the "non-refundable" nature of your deposit, it is reasonable for you to request the doctor's personal consideration for a refund.  Sometimes, a written letter will be necessary to get your issue in front of the surgeon.        Goodwill is priceless and I would expect that your surgeon understands this.      Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Want A Refund?

Thank you for your question. It seems reasonable to receive a refund six months prior to surgery. Please discuss directly with your plastic surgeons office. Hope this helps and good luck.

Surgery deposit

Thank you for your question.In my practice, the $500 is a non-refundable scheduling fee that is then applied to your procedure. Of course, there always are exceptions.  Call your surgeon's office and speak with the patient coordinator (or whomever handles the financial part of the procedure).Best of luck!

Fred Hackney, MD

Financial Policies

Thank you for your question. More than etiquette this would be a matter of financial policies. Each Plastic Surgeon and practice will have their own financial policies. Some will refund up until a specified time before surgery and some will not or only partially. You will need to contact the office and inquire about their policies.
All the best  

Down Payment Back?

There should be no reason why the office should not be able to give your deposit back with that amount of lead time.  Some offices do have timeframes that they need to know by before the deposit becomes non-refundable.  However, I have never heard of one that would have a non-refundable policy this far out from the surgery date.  Simply call them and let them know you have changed your mind.  It happens and they should be accommodating.  If they are not, then you know that they are more interested in the bottom line than potential patient satisfaction.  I hope this helps.