Scars After Body Lift, Will They Ever Fade?

I am thinking seriously of performing a body lift after I lost 100 lbs but I am too concerned about the scars. I want to undergo an arm lift, thigh lift, breast augmentation and buttock lift but I am really concerned about the scars because they are permanent. How long do they take to conceal? What is scar revision? Can they be treated by laser? Will they ever fade and disappear? Please answer me Thanks

Scars after body lift

Unfortunately you will always have scars whenever an incision is made.

Brachioplasty- Scars when placed inside the arm the most common ares for them are notoriously unforgiving often widening and staying red for years. Posterior scars do much better and often remain thin forever, although they can stay red for a long time as well.

Bdy lift- These scars are supprisingly forgiving and often swttle within months. the back and mons portion usually taking longer.

Breast lift- most problems are in the inframammory crease and sometimes the periariolar area

Scar revisions can be done at any site if needed.

Silicone patches and numerous different lotions can be used post-operatively if needed.

Everyone scars differently.

I advise my patients that they are substituting a figure they are not happy with for scarring which hopefully turns out great, which it usually does 80% of the time.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

I have performed a number of body lifts, I find that patients are so happy with the contouring results that they dont care about the scar. With a good cream and massage the scars can become less noticeable but will never go away. Trust me, if you have a dramatic body change your scars will not be an issue! GOOD LUCK

Bodylift, Dr. Adibfar, Plastic Surgeon Toronto

Hello Alexandra

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Although the scars from the procedures you mentioned above are permanent, in general they should fade away to a fine whitish line over 1-2 years if done properly.

Your surgeon should have specific treatments should they get thick , turn red or dark.

Massive weight loss surgical patients are in general so happy with the final contour and shape of their new body that they don't mind the fine scars which they hide under their bathing suit.

Thank you

The basic principle that applies to any body contouring procedure is that you have to accept some degree of scar to achieve that better form.  The scars to fade with time.  I usually start scar massage therapy 5-6 weeks after surgery.  This can also include silicone gel strips.  Additonal interventions for scar management include steroid injections, laser treatments, and even surgical scar revision.  Please talk to your PS about his/her recommendations. 

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Body lift

The scar after a Lower Body Lift is very undetectable due to the fact that the skin at one point was overstretched and there is minimal tension in the suture line.  Nevertheless it is important to be in contact with your doctor to follow the healing process.

Scars should improve with time.

On average scars take 6 to 12 months to fade to flesh color. Some people scar abnormally (keloids or hypertrophic scarring) but very seldom. Most patients are so happy with their results they don't ever even mention their scars. However, arm lifts and leg lift scars are notorious for being more noticeable. The scars tend to widen and are thicker than other areas on the body. If you have a lot of excess skin in these areas then there is such an improvement the scars probably won't bother you. If you don't have a lot of excess skin then there won't be a big difference and you may be more preoccupied with your scars. Hope this helps answer your questions. Great luck with your decision.

Hollie Hickman, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Scars tend to mature and fade over the course of a year.  Laser may be appropriate in some patients.  They will never disappear.  Scar placement and minimizing the total scar burden are important here.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.                    

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Body Lift Scarring

It's not unusual for patients to be concerned about scarring following lower body lift surgery. The scars from this procedure are potentially long and not easily hidden.

In an effort to minimize scarring, a variety of maneuvers have been utilized. These include techniques designed to decrease tension on the wound closure. Examples include steri-strips, silicone scar sheeting and compressive support devices. Massage of scars with a variety of topical agents has been utilized in an effort to minimize scarring. In the occasional patient who develops hypertrophic scarring, steroid injections may be helpful, as well.

it's important to remember that wound remodeling occurs at least 12 to 18 months following surgery. If significant scarring is present at this point in time, scar revision surgery may be indicated.

If you're concerned about scarring following lower body lift surgery, it's important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to help you understand your potential for scarring.Body Lifyt Scarring

Post Body Lift Scars

Thank you for your question. We routinely use the V-Beam to diminish scars, and it has proven to be very effective on reducing the scars. We also like to use silicone tape, and may revise the cars if needed. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

After a massive weight loss, you are trading excess skin for excess scars

Congratulations on your weight loss.
Following a massive weight loss, some patients are left with more excess skin than others. In a situation where you are not left with a large amount of excess skin and very droopy breasts and butt, a body lift/body contouring can be very helpful. Understand, that where ever you need skin removal and tightening, you will be left with a scar. A skilled plastic surgeon is able to hide the scars where they are least visible and make them as fine as possible, but never not leave scars.
Ask your self, will you be happy in a new tight body but with scars, which you can cover with clothes, or will you be happier with no scars but a lot of loose skin?

Martin Jugenburg, MD