Will This Scar Flatten? (photo)

this is my scar at three weeks. My surgeon said this will flatten out... do you think this is true?

The Management Of Scarring After Thigh Lift Surgery

It's important to understand that wound healing is a dynamic process that goes on for 12 to 18 months following surgery. During this period of time, scars have the potential to undergo significant remodeling and become less noticeable.

It's important to note that a significant amount of tissue gathering was utilized during your wound closure. This has resulted in some irregularity of the wound margins. It's important to realize that this is not unusual after this type of surgery when patients are only three weeks post-op. With the passage of time, these wounds should flatten and lose their redness.

It's important to take steps in the post-operative period to minimize scarring. A variety of maneuvers have been utilized to minimize scarring. These include techniques designed to decrease tension on the wound closure, examples include ster-strips, silicone scar sheeting and compressive support devices.

Massage of scars with a variety of topical agents has been shown to be helpful, as well. It's also important to avoid sun exposure and tanning. In the occasional patient who develops hypertrophic scarring, steroid injections may also be helpful. When adverse scarring occurs despite these maneuvers, scar revision is occasionally necessary.

If you're concerned about scarring following thigh lift surgery, you should discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses scarring in the post-operative period.

Scarring after thighplasty

A raised texture is normal for the first three to six months after your surgery but fortunately it will gradually flatten out. This natural healing process can take about a year or so. Ask your surgeon about scar treatments, such as topical silicone gel or silicone sheeting. These may help reduce visibility of the scar.

Scars Take 18 Months to Fully Mature

Thank you for your question and photo.  The photo of your posterior thighlift scar looks reasonable for 3 weeks.  I agree with your surgeon that it should settle with time.  The puckering is due to deep sutures used to reset the fold under the buttock.  If It does not faltten out in 3-6 months you should discuss with your surgeon.  Scars take 18 months to fully mature to their final state.  If a revision is necessary, you should wait until then.  Best wishes.