My sutures have not dissolved from my breast lift and augmentation, is something wrong?

I had a lift and new breast implants put in. And both of my breast still have sutures that have not disolved. My surgery was around August 27th. And it is now November 17th. I can feel the entire band of the stitch, not just the knot at the end. There are probably about 20 plus. Shouldn't these be gone by now? Any other surgery I have had never had internal sutures stay this long. Should my Dr be doing something about this?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... what do you mean dissolved? Because they are under your skin.. Or you're talking about spitting out? I suggest you to get a consultation with your plastic surgeon to determine if you're healing properly.. Hugs!

Sutures have not dissolved

Thank You for your Question.

How do you know they haven't dissolved of they are under the skin. Do you mean  that are "spitting" stitches that came  along the suture line? You just have to be patient  and treat each spit as it comes- up.

Best of luck of your future cosmetic

Sutures

Some internal absorbable sutures can take 6 months or longer to dissolve.  Best to review with your surgeon.

Sutures

Thank you for your question.  There are many different types of sutures used for surgery and each type last for different amount of time.  Talk with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about your concerns to make sure there is no concerns. 

Sutures not dissolving

There are various types of sutures that one can use some of which  can still be present at three months post surgery. You may be feeling your body's reaction to the suture as it melts away which is merely scar tissue. Go back to your operating plastic surgeon as they will best know the type of suture material that was used. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Absorbable sutures

Thanks for your inquiry.  I would see your surgeon.  Sometimes sutures do not disssolve and if they can be held with a forcep, they can be removed in the office.  Good Luck.

Speak with your surgeon

This is sometimes an issue. I would suggest that you speak with your surgeon about your sutures. Although you do want to make sure that what you are feeling is actually a suture and not scar tissue along the incision line. It can take up to a year for your scars to resolve. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD