Botox injected along the jawlines from below the cheeks all the way to sides of the chin caused no saliva production.

55 (25/30) total units on both sides. 5-6 injections on both sides of jawlines to slim face. After 2 wks of injections, there was no saliva from the sides and the bottom of my mouth. My mouth is really dry. Is it possible that Botox was injected into the parotid and submandibular glands by accident to cause saliva suppression? Is it possible the glands are damaged permanently by botox? How long does it take to wear off if Botox is injected into salivary glands?

Botox Nefertiti lift

Thank you for your question majo2015. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face Botox can be placed along the jawline. This is called the Nefertiti lift. This relaxes the platysma muscle which pulls down on the jawline. This treatment can improve jawline definition. Botox can also be used to address submandibular salivary glands that produce excessive saliva. Injections here are close to those used for the Nefertiti lift. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatment for 3-4 months. After that the results (and side effects) are back to baseline. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox and Dry Mouth After Jawline Injections

you likely have glands that were affected and there is nothing you can do till 2-3 months as the botox wears off.  sour mouth drops and dry mouth rinses can help.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and dry mouth

The majority of saliva in the mouth is produced by the submandibular glands.  The parotid glands, which are physically larger, have a smaller role to play.  If Botox is injected directly into these glands, there is expected temporary reduction in the amount of saliva, hence a dry mouth is a possibility.  Sometimes, Botox is intentionally injected into these glands to improve cosmetic appearance when the glands are large and/or protuberant; if such a treatment were to be considered, then this would be discussed with the patient prior to treating.  And the risk of dry mouth would also be reviewed ahead of time.  The effects are not permanent and normal functioning glands are expected after a few months.

Mark Lupin, MD
Victoria Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox effect on saliva production

Thank you for asking about your Botox.

• This is an unusual complication - usually the masseter muscle is easily felt, so Botox can be injected directly.
  • I agree with you that the Botox was probably not injected into the muscle 
  • Botox effects like this are not permanent and the glands will not be permanently damaged.
  • The effect is probably not on saliva production but on the muscles that eject saliva into the mouth.
  • On average it takes 3 months for Botox effects to wear off - up to a year in some people.
  • A dry mouth can cause dental problems - so be sure to floss every day, rinse you mouth with dry mouth rinse as often as needed and suck sugar-free hard candy to help to stimulate production.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.