After a first filler procedure for under-eye bags, is it best to underfill than overfill, and go back to get a touch-up?

I had a under eye appt filler injection with boletero today, and I just dont see the effects of it. (2 hours after injection) Will I need to get another touch-up? Only 1 syringe was used for both eyes, and I feel theres more in my cheeks than under eyes..

Eye area and Injections with Belotero, Restylane

It is always better to be conservative and under fill the eye area.  There are too many times I have read that patients had too much product placed in the delicate under eye area.  It is always best to underfill and return for a touch up in two weeks. Best, Dr. Green

It's better to start conservatively with fillers

It is always best to start conservatively. Additional product can always be used to layer and achieve a satisfactory result, but dissolving too much product is more troublesome. Wait two weeks before attempting a touch up to be sure that the original product has perfectly settled and no residual swelling is present. Best of luck!

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Belotero

Hi & thank you for your question.
It is always best to start with less and add more. Let things settle for a week , see how you like it and go back for additional filler if you desire.

Hope this helps

Re filling under eye area with Beletero

I would wait at least one week before saying the injection under the eye did not work.
i do believe that if you feel you need more that this can always be done and you are better off having an under filling situation than to have too much added.
i usually do two to three sessions for the eyelid area one week apart until we get it right if that is the focus.
Best wishes to you in getting this to a point where you are happy. Going slow is best.

Sharon J. Littzi, MD
New Canaan Dermatologic Surgeon

Under Eye Fillers -- Use Cannulas and Go Conservative

I always do cheeks before undereyes and when doing under eyes I do with cannula to limit complications and do conservative amounts.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Using Fillers Under The Eyes

I definitely prefer the less is more approach when treating underneath the eyes with fillers. It is always easier to add more than to take away too much (even though hyaluronic acid fillers are dissolvable). One syringe of filler is enough to make at least some improvement underneath the eyes. Unless the filler wasn't injected in the correct place, then that's a whole different story. I would give it 2 weeks and then follow up with your injector. If more is needed then it can be given at that time. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Good to be conservative with eyelid filler injections

One syringe is usually enough for under eyes but not if it was injected in the cheeks.  
It is good idea to undercorrect and be conservative.
See an oculoplastic specialist for eyelid filler injection.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Less is More

Treating tear trough depressions with hyaluronic acid can sometimes be unpredictable because some patients swell more than others. Therefore being patient and taking a conservative approach and treating in an incremental manner is sensible approach which will allow your doctor to titrate the treatment. You will obtain the best result while minimizing the chance of precipitaing a complication.

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hyalu blepharoplasty

Absolutely yes as hyaluronic acid is hydrophilic: tends to attract water and every patient has different water retension ability.  A staged approach with 2 sessions spaced 6-8 weeks apart is recommended. 

Costas Papageorgiou, MD, FACS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon