Got Botox injection in my masseter for jaw reduction, should I be feeling sore in my jaws?

I got 25 units/35 units in my masseter on Friday for jaw reduction. From EVERYONE I asked I was told that you're supposed to feel sore in the jaws for a couple of days after the injection, and I was fully prepared for the side-effects. However, I did not feel anything after the injection and it's been four days. Does this mean the botox did not work? Is it normal for people to not have ANY side effects after the injection?

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question avemarias. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle in the lower face to address the shape of the lower face. Some people may experience soreness after a treatment and others may not. The peak effects are seen at two weeks after a treatment, although to atrophy the masseter multiple rounds of treatment may be required. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Jaw Pain and Botox Injection

Lucky you! No pain is great. Not all patients get jaw pain after Botox injection into the masseter muscle. Sometimes soreness can occur if the jawbone is hit with the needle during the injection. I've had many patients not experience pain who were happy with the results! In your instance no pain doesn't necessarily equal no gain! Just for clarification sake, 25-35 units should be used in each side. It may take up to 10 days to have a full effect and you may need a touch up every 4 months for the first year, with increased spacing between injections as time goes on!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Botox and Masseters

Pain is not indicative of the Botox treatment taking effect, as it will take 10-14 days to see optimal results. If you are unhappy, I suggest consulting an expert for further treatment. Best, Dr. Emer

Botox for masseters

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

Consider yourself lucky! I had the same procedure done, and I was definitely sore for about a week. The fact that you are not sore does not mean the Botox will not work.

Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox in the masseter

I hope you received 25 u/35 u in each masseter, that would be the usual dose. Not everyone complains of soreness. The best way to check whether the Botox is working is to feel the muscle when you clench your jaws shut. You should not be able to feel a significant bulging out of the muscle near the jaw angle, i.e. it should stay flaccid.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for masseter muscle

The lack of of soreness is a positive and does not reflect the effectiveness of the treatment. I usually start new patients with a 20-25 unit injection into each masseter and most of them report a similar experience to you. You will see the muscle relaxation after 2 weeks but will have to wait 6 weeks or so for the muscle to actually reduce in size/bulk. Botox to the masseters helps with symptomatic relief but also will reshape your face, turning a squared faced into a more appealing oval face. This cosmetic effect is the result of the reduction in muscle bulk. 

Soreness after masseter injection

You had a very small dose injected and it may or may not be very effective but the soreness is not necessarily an indication. sometimes it takes up to 2 weeks for the effect to be noticed

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

No not really

Hi
Thanks for the question.  Everyone reacts different to injections and treatments. Having no discomfort is a bonus, it does not mean the treatment did not work.  It will take a week, but up to a month to start noticing the effects.  Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."