Will Botox or something similar remove a unsightly artery vein above the temple on my forehead? (Photo)

I have a pulsating vein above the temple on my forehead. Would Botox fix this problem? Is there any way of getting thicker skin, would that solve the issue? Any treatment at all to fix this? Please help!

Unsightly vein on foreheaD

Botox will not help this area and in fact that vein should be left alone as it is important to keep open in this area

Nashville Dermatologist

Botox does not work on blood vessels

Thank you for your question greening1994. Botox is a purified protein used to relax muscles which cause wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox will have no effect on blood vessels. Unsightly veins and broken capillaries can be addressed with vascular lasers such as Nd:YAG, pulsed dye, KTP, and IPL. However if a blood vessel is pulsating, it is likely an artery and should be left intact. Treatments to stimulate collagen such as lasers, radiofrequency, and ultrasound may provide benefit in cases surrounding arteries. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox for Forehead Vein

No, Botox will not solve this issue. Skin thins naturally with age and therefore reveals underlying anatomical structures. You could try having the area camouflaged with fat or filler. The blood vessels serve a purpose. I would avoid having the vein or artery disturbed/disrupted/removed as this could cause bigger problems.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Treatment to Conceal Veins - Fillers, Fat transfer, Sclerotherapy

Fillers or fat can be used to fill the area surrounding the vein and can be used to conceal the vein. Some vein experts use sclerotherapy in this area or lasers.  I suggest consulting with an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Will Botox or something similar remove a unsightly artery vein above the temple on my forehead?

Hello and thank you for your question!

I would not recommend Botox as the intention of the treatment is not the same. The application of it would not help with the artery vein on your forehead as this is something that is congenital. It is possible it would lessen the intensity with which it appears due to the relaxation of the muscle, however this is not guaranteed.

Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Vein on temple

That particular vein in your temple region is an important structure in your normal anatomy and should be left alone. Botox will not help in any way improve the appearance of the vein, however a conservative amount of filler or fat grafting would be better to camoflauge the vein. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Fat grafting and fillers to 'thicken' facial skin

The subcutaneous fat diminishes and the dermal layer thins as a patient ages - this exposes underlying veins/arteries - I disagree with the comment on sclerosing these vessels - the vascular anatomy in this region of the face interacts with that of the eye in unpredictable ways, and I think sclerosis would be hazardous. Fat grafting in the temples are peri-orbital region using side-port blunt cannulae would be a safe and reasonable way to conceal these vessels. Botox will not work for this problem.

Botox treatment indications

Botox will not be helpful for this. Actually, what you describe as a "pulsating vein" on your temple is in fact probably the superficial temporal artery, a important source of blood supply for the forehead. It is important that this artery be kept patent. I would recommend against letting anyone attempt sclerotherapy or laser on this vessel. Be careful. Discuss with an expert. 

Removal of Unsightly Facial Vein

Botox will make the surrounding skin less wrinkly, but won't remove the vein.

I'd recommend either
1) sclerotherapy of the vein, which involves the precise injection of chemicals to dissolve vein walls, or
2) laser to remove the vein, or
3) injection of a filler to the surrounding area, to help support to loose skin and disguise the bulge of the vein. You do have some loss of volume to the temple and forehead, which is why the vein is more visible.

Of course, seek someone experienced with these techniques. Best of luck!

Jessie Cheung, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

No it will not

Thanks for the question.  This issue would involve two options.  Sclerotherapy of the vein would help to eliminate it.  The other option would be placing filler over the area or around the area to camouflage it, but I am not sure that would be a good option in your case.  I would consult with a plastic surgeon experienced in sclerotherapy or even a vein specialist.  Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."