Will massaging scalp affect Botox injection on forehead about 1.5 hours post Botox? (Photo)

Botox was injected into the top left and top right of my forehead. 1.5 hours post-Botox, I was on my iPhone and totally forgot about the Botox, and accidentally massaged my scalp, near the top centre hairline of my forehead. I know the Botox was injected into my top forehead, but I'm concerned if my accidental massage might affect the Botox?

Massaging after Botox

Thank you for your question Weiwei88. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the horizontal lines on the forehead seen when we raise our brows. For my patients I massage the area immediately after a treatment. I do not recommend to my patients that they massage the area thereafter as incorrect massage may move the Botox and lead to possible side effects. This is for the first few hours. The full effects of Botox are seen at 14 days after a treatment. I have my patients return at that time to take after photographs and assess their results. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients. Massaging will not affect the botox once injected. 

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Massage after Botox

If the massage is vigorous and/or you are in a cradle, I do think it is possible to move the Botox. It you gently massaged the scalp as described, I don't think there will be any ill affect on the outcome.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Massage After Botox, is it effective?

Massaging will not affect the botox once injected. I suggest you see an expert who give you a long term treatment plan.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Messaging Scalp After Botox

Thank you for asking your question. There should be no problem for two reasons. The messaging was done in area away from the original injection and the by the time you had messaged your scalp, 1 1/2 hours later, the Botox should pretty much have been fixed. The Botox would not be migrating. Incidentally, the only region that might be important not to message, would be near the middle of the brow where there could be displacement causing a drop in the upper lid ( the levator palpebrae being affected).
Good luck and enjoy the Memorial Day weekend. Remember the Fallen.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Will massaging scalp affect Botox injection on forehead about 1.5 hours post Botox?

Hello Weiwei88,

Massaging your scalp after Botox was injected into your forehead should not create any issues.  The concern when people massage direclty over the injected area within the first few hours is that can push the Botox to unwanted areas.  But in your case you massaged near the injected area as opposed to on the injected area, so there shouldn't be an issue.  In the worst case scenario your brow position may be slightly uneven and could be improved with a touch up in two weeks, but I doubt this would happen.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will massaging the scalp effect results of forhead injection with Botox

Thank you for sharing your question. You have nothing to worry about. There will be no effect to the results from your massage. I hope this calms you.
Good luck,