Does CoolSculpting require licensed doctors to be performed? (Photo)

Does cool sculpting required licensed doctors to perform? A lot is spa places doing the treatment without license ?

Coolsculpting

The CoolSculpting treatment does not need to be performed by a physician.  It is a class 2 device so it can be used by anyone certified in CoolSculpting. However, I would make sure that there is a physician on board who will perform your good faith exam and makes sure you are medically cleared for the treatment.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting University

CoolSculpting is a non-invasive procedure that does not require a physician for it to be performed. The CoolSculpting providers are certified in the procedure and have attended a comprehensive, training program offered by the manufacturer, Zeltiq. Patients interested in CoolSculpting should seek an office with certified staff supervised by a board-certified plastic surgeon to ensure they are in safe hands. Good luck in your research!

Jerome H. Liu, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Does Not Require Physician

CoolScultpting is one of a handful of procedures that does not require a doctor or even a nurse to treat. That said, it's a good idea to make sure the technician overseeing your treatment has adequate training. There are certain conditions that your make CoolSculpting inadvisable.The machine itself controls temperatures and timing, so there is a built in safety factor. If you've had a hernia, certain surgeries, or have certain medical conditions, you need to be more careful in choosing this or any procedure that could disrupt healing or negatively impact your skin health.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

CoolSculpting Treatment

The CoolSculpting treatment does not need to be performed by a physician.  It is a class 2 device so it can be used by anyone certified in CoolSculpting.  At most offices, Certified Technicians do the whole treatment.  That being said, I would recommend going to a board certified plastic surgeon's office to make sure you are seeing someone who is better trained in cosmetic procedures and who can tell you if this is the best treatment for you.  A lot of spas who offer CoolSculpting do not have other fat reduction treatments, so they may not be the most reliable to tell you what your best options are.  

Find a certified expert

There are quite a few medical spas that now have CoolSculpting. For the best result, i would go under the care of a licenced physician who is Certified in CoolSculpting or whose employee have been certified. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Centers

Coolsculpting is unfortunately performed by too many centers that are either not certified nor under the proper supervision of a physician. To understand your options and to receive the best results, consult with a physician who directs a Certified Coolsculpting Center. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Does CoolSculpting require licensed doctors to be performed?

Thank you for your question. This depends in the area you live in. If you would like more specific information you can contact Zeltiq and they will be able to help you. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting laws may vary

State laws will have an impact on who is licensed to preform specific services like CoolSculpting. I see every body sculpting patient in my practice to determine a treatment plan. We have a team of fully trained RNs who perform the CoolSculpting treatments under my direction. I think that it is important for patients to have a proper evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon. Plastic surgeon's have training in a variety of body sculpting methods and it is imperative that you receive the right type of treatment in order to meet your expectations. Best of luck.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  I think the answer depends on the state in which the treatment is being performed.  In TN, the treatment does not need to be performed by a physician and can be performed by a nurse, medical assistant or aesthetician.  In my office, the treatment is performed by our RN who has been formally trained at the "Coolsculpting University" which is a 2-day comprehensive training program provided by the manufacturer, ZELTTIQ.  I recommend you seek consultation in a physician's office where the treatment is being performed by someone with the same level of training.  Hope this helps!

CoolSculpting at New Local Spa Versus Other Technologies

coolsculpting requires a specialist but doesn't have to be performed by a physician. I suggest though you only go to a body contouring expert for these treatments to ensure no complications.  Best, Dr. Emer.