Silicone implant For Asian Rhinoplasty. My tip is uncomfortable & red. What is the cause?

I had the Asian Rhinoplasty 20 years ago. I have a L shape silicone implant on my nose bridge. Recently I felt very uncomfortable and it is getting red on tip of nose. I sometimes feel something will push out and headache. I had the CT scan and it shows I have increased density along the nasal bridge. I am wondering is it caused by the silicone implant? Thank you very much and appreciate your answers.

Silicone nasal implants

While commonly used, silicone implants can frequently become a problem. Few experienced rhinoplasty surgeons will use them.  The nasal tissues are thin and the likelihood of implant mobility and extrusion are high.  The proper way to correct this problem is to remove the implant before it gets exposed and replace it with diced cartilage wrapped in fascia

Tip Uncomfortable and Red after Placement of Silicone Implant

Pictures would be helpful but your description suggests that the silicone implant is moving, putting pressure on the tip skin with possible extrusion of the silicone. I suggest you consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon as soon as reasonably possible to avoid skin breakdown with resulting scarring. This is a well known possible complication with L-shaped silicone implants.  

Silicone nasal implant

Thank you for the description and you really need to be seen by a specialist to be certain that you are not developing an infection or exposure of the implant which occurs all too commonly

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Tip red after silicone implant

zinawok,

The density that shows up on your CT scan most likely is your silicone implant, but also may represent inflammation around the implant.  The redness and pressure on the tip of your nose may be an early sign of infection or possible extrusion of the implant, and should be evaluated by your surgeon as soon as possible for treatment. Best of luck. 

Julie Edween, DO

Asian Rhinoplasty with silicone implant: uncomfortable and red tip

Asian rhinoplasty may include raising the bridge (augmentation) with cartilage or other materials. Silicone implants are very popular. They create height, definition, and they are quick to put in place. The only issue is the lifetime risk of infection and extrusion. 

Redness, swelling, pain, and drainage are signs of infection and potential extrusion. I would recommend seeing a rhinoplasty surgeon as soon as possible to evaluate and treat the infection before the implant breaks through the skin. Once the infection has settled, you can have the implant removed as it will likely get infected again. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implant and redness of the nasal tip

The increased density on the CT scan could be the appearance of the silicone implant. The redness and pressure at the tip of the nose is worrisome. I would recommend an evaluation with a nose surgery expert as the implant can get infected and push out of the nose even 20 years after the surgery. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD