Can lip injections make my smile bigger?

My mouth is very small and about the same width as my nose. I understand that correcting this will make my lips look more aesthetically pleasing when closed but will it have any effect open? When smiling?

Lip Augmentation Creates Fuller Lips Not Wider Mouth

You are correct that the hyaluronic-acid dermal fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane will give you plumper lips when smiling or at rest. Depending on the skill of the injector, it is also possible that the lips can look slightly wider. However, the width of the opening of your mouth while smiling cannot change except with surgery. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist so you can learn what is possible for your lips and how best to achieve it.

San Diego Dermatologist

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

While lip augmentation can make the lips fuller, balanced and attractive this will not increase the size or width of the mouth.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation but if you "feel" something is off aesthetically, I would bet that it has something to do with the cheeks and or chin more than the width of the mouth. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective. 

Hope this helps.

Lip Injections and Augmentation

Lip Injections will make your lips look fuller and more beautiful and rejuvenate or augment lost volume.  I have injected thousands of lips and it is an art based on the proper balance of the face.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Please post pictures so that we are better able to assist. Lip augmentation through injectables can make your lips bigger and create a fuller smile for a more rejuvenated and youthful appearance. I suggest you next consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Injections and Smile

Thank you for your question.  Lip augmentation with dermal fillers will affect the volume and shape of your lips both when closed and while smiling.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat --- Go Slow, Use Cannulas -- Reverse with Hyaluronidase If Unhappy

Yes fillers can make the smile better so you want to customize the filler to ensure the shape of the mouth changes appropriately when injected.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Bigger smile

By  increasing lip volume you might expect less total exposure of your teeth and a lesser smile. Various types of lip lifts and corner of mouth surgery might give you a bigger smile. Pictures in repose and smiling might help to answer your question more specifically. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question.  The increased volume that fillers afford will make lips look fuller when patients have their mouth closed, but also when they are smiling or talking.  Hope this helps.