Incision opened up. Is this normal? Will my scar be really bad? (Photo)

My incision was thin and perfectly closed when I got the stitches out until they randomly burst open I'm so upset what could I have done for this to happen will I be left with a really ugly scar now ? My surgeon said it probably won't turn out the best now but that I can do a scar revision later on

Incision Opening

This degree of wound separation for an IMF incision is unusual in my experience. Smoking can lead to healing issues. I would be concerned with preventing infection primarily, consider scar revision later on. Follow up closely with your Plastic Surgeon for wound care.

All the best

Scarring after wound separation

is much better than you could expect.  More concerning is why did your wound open up?  And how did your surgeon close the wound (layers or not)?  This should heal on its own and if it doesn't, there could be bigger issues to be concerned about.

Curtis Wong, MD

Wound dehiscence

I'm less worried about the scar, and more worried about the potential for bacteria to get to the implant. This is highly unusual and your wounds have a colored exudate and surrounding erythema that is concerning. I think you need to go on systemic antibiotics after your surgeon has cultured your wounds. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

The scar will be worse than it otherwise would have been, but may heal just fine regardless. Only time will tell. Its best to trust your surgeon and if it is unsightly down the road a revision of the scar is a relatively minor procedure. 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Incision opened up. Is this normal? Will my scar be really bad?

I am sorry to see that your incision has opened up.  This should heal with time if proper wound care methods are used.  Please see her plastic surgeon and ask about wet-to-dry dressing changes and topical antibiotics.  It will be impossible to evaluate your final incision at least until 7 or 8 months from now.

Slow healing after augmentation

Thank you for your question and photos.  From what I can see, you appear to have some superficial healing delay.   This could be due to external irritation, systemic issues like smoking, or inflammation due to the sutures.  This sort of problem will typicall resolve with local wound care.  You may have wider than ideal scar, but this can be fixed at a later time with a scar revision.  Best to follow your surgeons wound care advice.  Good luck.  

Incision opening after BBA

Thank you for your question and photo. It appears that you have some superficial separation, which is most likely due to reaction to the suture material. This should heal uneventfully with wound care. The scar may heal a bit wider, but this certainly could be revised if needed. I encourage you to have your plastic surgeon evaluate you, because obviously if the opening goes deeper, to the level of the implant, this could become a bigger problem. That being said, from your photos, it does appear to be superficial. Obviously, an in person examination it Is necessary to make a better assessment. Best Regards.