My earlobe is ripped, the piercing hole is close to the bottom, is there a home remedy to fix this? (Photo)

my mother ripped one earlobe piercing hole when I was nine, I am 25 now, it has also torn more due to constant wear of earrings, I don't even wear heavy ones. I have tried to go without earrings to let it heal and it remains open. I wanted to get it surgically fixed, as recommended by piercing places and doctors, but if the lobe isn't torn all the way through it will cost about $400 to fix, I don't have that kind of money. is there a home treatment available?

Torn Hole

There is no non-surgical treatments to fix a torn earlobe piercing hole.  The only way to treat this is to have an earlobe repair, which can be done in the office with local.  

Is there a nonsurgical repair for a torn earlobe?

Unfortunately, there is no nonsurgical repair available. The inside rim (the doughnut hole) has to be trimmed out to get freshened edges before the hole can be sewn closed again. Generally, however, the procedure is easily done in-office, with simple local numbing medicine and takes a only 5-15 minutes.  Hope this helps.

My earlobe is ripped, the piercing hole is close to the bottom, is there a home remedy to fix this?

There is no home remedy to fix a torn earlobe.  Surgery is needed to repair this tear in your earlobe and can be done in an office setting with local anesthetic.  Contact a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.  best wishes.

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Torn earlobe

Thank you for your question and photo.  Unfortunately there is no home remedy or nonsurgical remedy.  This requires a minor surgical procedure that can be done in an office with local anesthesia.  Although it is not 100% torn through it still requires the same effort to repair.  Always seek a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Ear lobe repair

Unfortunately there is no home remedy. It’s a quick and simple procedure that take less than 15 minutes to do. I would suggest to have an earlobe repair. This can be done under local anesthesia with no downtime. I take the stitches out at one week and repierce your ear 5 weeks later. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Home Remedy

Hello-Unfortunately there is not a home remedy available to fix torn earlobes.  Oftentimes patients that develop an elongated piercing or a complete tear may have allergies to common metals such as nickel.  The tear can be repaired.  If it is close to the bottom of the lobe, likely your surgeon will recommend converting it to a complete tear, and repairing.  If you plan to re-pierce the ears, likely a flap such as a z-plasty will be used.  Afterwards, I would recommend using only hypo-allergenic metals such as stainless steel, silver, and gold earrings.

Daniel J. Givens, MD
Dubuque Facial Plastic Surgeon

No home remedy for torn earlobe

Unfortunately, there is really no home remedy to repair a torn earlobe or stretched earring hole. It is a pretty quick surgical procedure, and if you found a plastic surgeon charging $400 that may be the best you find (typically costs more). The good news is many plastic surgeons offer financing, so if you wanted to get it done sooner rather than later, you could try applying for financing. Otherwise, you may have to wait until you are able to save up for it. I wish I had an easier answer for you! Once it stretches like in the photo, it does not tend to improve even after earrings are removed, and surgical correction is your only real option.

Anita Patel, MD

Ear lobe repair

Thank you for asking about your ear lobe repair.
  • I am sorry your ear lobe is torn.
  • There is no home remedy for this -
  • The fee you have been quoted is reasonable but you may find a plastic surgeon outside San Francisco who will fix your ear for less.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Ripped Earlobe Piercing Repair #earloberepairseattle

• You have an impending tear of your earlobe piercing.  
  • With time your stretched piercing will likely tear completely through. 
  • The stretched piercing you have may be repaired by a plastic surgeon using a local anesthetic.
  • The procedure itself isn't very painful at all, and after 6 weeks I allow my patients to have their earlobes re-pierced.
  • There is no home remedy to repair the stretched or torn earlobe. 
  • Thanks for sharing.  

Earlobe Repair

For a torn earlobe the only way to repair it is to have it surgically excised and then re-pierced at a later date.  Even if you keep the earring out, the hole will not heal over.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon