After earlobe surgery on a torn earlobe, how long will the ear take to heal before it can be pierced?

I have earlobe surgery scheduled for 8/19/16 and would like to wear earrings by 9/8/16.

Earlobe Surgery

I recommend patients wait 3 months prior to re-piercing. The time constraints you are under put you at risk to re-tear.

Earlobe repair

Usually you want to wait at least 6-8 weeks to repierce earlobes after repair. Best wishes.
Dean Vistnes, MDVistnes Plastic SurgerySan Francisco Bay Area

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

6 weeks

We tell our patients to wait 6 weeks following the surgery before they can re pierce the hole. Usually we re pierce it for them. 

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Re-piercing an earlobe

Apply Plato's Scar Serum on the earlobe scar and then wait about 4 to 6 weeks to re-pierce. 
Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Piercing earlobes after earlobe repair

After repair of a stretched or torn earlobe, the more you wait the better. I usuallt recommend waiting at least 6-8 weeks. I also recommend to examine the thickness of the earlobe, as some of my patients have very thin earlobes and may benefit from a small amount of dermal filler to give support to the earlobe prior to piercing.

When it's safe to re-pierce following earlobe repair

I typically recommend waiting 4 months or more if the piercing is going to be close or right along the scar that results form the earlobe repair. If the scar and the re-piercing are more distant from each other than a shorter time period may be appropriate, but I would discuss this with your surgeon.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Ear lobes and Re-piercing

Great question!  I typically recommend waiting 6 weeks after any ear lobe repair before re-piercing the ears.  Best of luck to you!

Earlobe repair

Thanks for your question. This is much more common procedure than many people realize that plastic surgeons perform. I typically wait 6 weeks after the repair, then I have patients bring in a light pair of stud earrings that they wish to wear for a few weeks before changing them out. We agree on the proper location on the ear lobe, but it cannot be exactly in the line of the repair (higher risks of it re-opening). I hope that helps you, and I'd say that 99% of patients who have this done are very pleased. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Ear piercing after earlobe repair

I like to wait about 3-4 months before re-piercing them. This allows for the tissues to soften enough around the area and allows for easy piercing.

Repiercing is typically performed three months following repair of a torn ear lobe.

If you need to wear earrings before the three month mark, consider using clip-on earrings. When you get re-pierced, it may be best to place the new hole near to, but not on the scar. Re-piercing through the scar predisposes to another tear.
Hope this helps.
Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon