What can I do about the large hole in the back of my ear piercing?

I got my ears pierced four weeks ago. This morning my earring fell out, so I went to put the post back into my ear lobe. While the front of the piercing looked absolutely normal, the back of the hole was far larger than the front and still appeared raw. Was the backing of the earring on too tight? If so, what can I do to remedy the situation, and will my ear return to normal?

Ear piercing - hole at the back so large that the earring fell out

Thank you for asking about your ear lobe and ear piercing.
  • The hole is large because the backing was so tight that it made the piercing hole larger.
  • The first thing to do is to stop wearing any earrings and let it heal.
  • if it heals, it can be repierced later - be sure the earrings are on too tightly.
  • If it will not heal,it will need minor surgery to close the hole and re-pierce the ears.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Closing a pierced ear hole

Apply Plato's Scar Serum on the scar and allow it to close without placing the earring back in. Later, you can repierce. 
Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Ear piercing wound

Your description of the ear piercing wound suggests the retainer was pushing into the back of the ear, and this created a pressure wound on this surface.  If you want to maintain the piercing, I suggest you keep the post in place with a much looser position of the retainer backing.  You may use a piece of cotton over the wound (around the post) to keep it from macerating.  Unless the ear becomes very red and painful, the wound should heal in a week or two with concentric contraction of the edges.  If you suspect any infection, seek the evaluation of your physician.  

Ear Piercing

Thank you for your question regarding your recent ear piercing.  I tell my patients that it takes 6-8 weeks for an ear piercing to heal.  If you are having issues with possible infection you would want to visit with your primary care physician to be treated.