Are there any dangers associated with microneedling and PRP?

I am seriously considering doing microneedling with PRP (to get rid of fine lines around my eyes) just wanted to know if there are any dangers or potential or adverse effects.

Micro needling and PRP - risks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a low risk procedure, especially if non energy miconeedling is used. The risks include infection ( I always cover my patients with antibiotics and anti virals if needed).  The question is what is the best way or method to achieve the best results? In your case, as Dr Emer pointed out, it maybe a combination of lasers, PRP, as well as fillers. Treating texture, tone and volume gives the best, and most natural results. See someone who is an expert in all these procedures, and the outcome will be there.All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim, Brisbane. Australia. 

Microneedling/PRP is a Low Risk For Eye Wrinkles, Best Combine with Lasers, Botox, Fillers, Peels

Microneedling is a low-risk procedure and works well in combination with other treatments. It may cause some temporary redness or irritation. For lines around the eyes, I use a combination of lasers, microneedling/PRP, fillers and skin care/peels and botox which can improve this area. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Dangers of microneedling and PRP

The most common reaction following the treatment is mild redness and swelling. Given that PRP is derived from your own blood, there is very little risk.  The main risk from both of these procedures is infection as microneedling involves inducing tiny open channels into the skin which could be a portal for bacteria entry.  PRP , given it is a blood product, has to be handled properly again to minimize the risk of infection

Hardik Soni, MD (not currently practicing)
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Safety of PRP Microneedling

PRP with Microneedling is a safe and effective procedure that is non-invasive. PRP is extracted from the patient’s own blood, which makes it safe and free from possible allergic reactions. Microneedling is non-invasive and only works on the top most layer of the skin, the dermis. However, just like other procedures, there are still possible risks involved, though it is very low with PRP and Microneedling. Some of the possible side effects include redness, swelling, and bruising. However, with your doctor's expertise these can be avoided. Should they still happen despite your doctor's skill and experience, these after effects will subside in as much as 72 hours.

If you are interested in having a PRP microneedling treatment, you may want to look for board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist  who can take a look at you and give you a thorough evaluation of your case. Your doctor will be able to suggest other possible treatments should need some.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon