Periareolar, bilateral mastopexy, or anchor lift? (Photo)

33-year-old athlete. No children. I've gone to 2 surgeons for consults. 1 advised that I get the bilat mastopexy/"lollipop" + augmentation, while the other surgeon said that due to my degree of sagging, a lollipop lift isn't adequate & that I am more of a candidate for an anchor lift, which I tend to agree. Goals: smaller areolas, symmetry, breasts closer together & fuller in size/shape, lift. Also, is a periolar mastopexy the same thing as a bilateral mastopexy?

Periareolar, bilateral mastopexy, or anchor lift?

The answer is neither a periareolar nor an anchor mastopexy. I continue to be astonished at the number of anchor mastopexies that are carried out. The anchor mastopexy results in a long inframammary scar, descent of the inframammary fold and a generally boxy breast shape. The periareolar procedure is a poor mastopexy and often results in enlarged, distorted areolas. The vertical lift cones the breast, raises the fold and does not distort the areola. I believe it is necessary to go to the anchor procedure only in very large, droopy breasts; I do this in less than 10% of cases. All the best.

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

In my opinion you can achieve a nice result with a vertical or lollipop mastopexy.  The periareolar mastopexy refers to the incision just around the areola.  The anchor mastopexy is probably too much based upon the pictures you presented.

An anchor lift might be excessive for you case. Consider augmentation and a periareolar lift of the NAC. 

Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Lollipop mastopexy with breast implants

Thank you for your photos. You are a god candidate for a breast lift with a lollipop incision and implant.

The distance of your areola to the infra mammary creas is too long, thus the lower pool has to be adjusted to prevent the implant to drop too soon!

Also the implant placed under the muscle will prevent to drop sooner!

Good luck with your surgery

What kind of lift

I'm not surprised that you have gotten conflicting recommendations regarding your case.  First of all eliminate the peroareolar lift altogether.  It will not or ivied much if any lift and will likely stretch out your areolae.  Of the other two types of lifts, I like the lollipop lift because it provides the lift you need, will reduce the areolae and the scars heal very well.  Not all surgeons are comfortable or experienced with the lollipop lift and therefore may be less likely to offer it as an option.  The anchor lift is also fine, but definitely avoid the periareolar lift.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Augmentation/Lift

Thank you for your question and good pictures. Personally I would go back to the first surgeon you mentioned and avoid the second. If the surgeon is experienced, there is no need for an anchor lift. I have not done an anchor lift in someone like you in over 20 years. I would also not put the implant under the muscle as it is much easier to place the breast in the proper position and obtain a good shape by putting it on top of the muscle. To keep the risk of capsular contracture the same, a textured implant is needed. When done properly, you can obtain your goals of breasts that have smaller areolae and are symmetrical, fuller, perky and very natural. (See plasticsurgerytoday.com/breast-remodeling-highlands-north-carolina/breast-lift-2/)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Neither

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, placement of implants with a lollipop (vertical) breast lift should do well.  Periareolar patterns tend to flatten the breasts and cause spreading of the areola whereas an anchor pattern in your case is probably overkill.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Lift Procedure

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring. The best thing would be to visit multiple board certified surgeons for consultations to see which procedure would be best to help achieve your desired results.

Periareolar lifts leave awful results

in most surgeons hands... and I never use it unless its the only option available.  You do not need an anchor lift... why take the transverse scar when its not needed (usually better for larger, droopier breasts).  You will still have on breast larger than the other and can address this with fat grafting (if you have some to spare) or a minimal reduction on your larger side, done at the same time as the mastopexy.  Start with a lollipop lift and you can always add on the transverse component if found to be needed.  

Curtis Wong, MD